Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jun, 2025 03:07 PM
  • Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Some wildfire evacuees staying at a shelter in northern Manitoba may be moved elsewhere as more communities return home and the government closes temporary evacuation centres.

Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor said roughly 114 people have been staying at the shelter in Thompson for the past three weeks due to a shortage of hotel spaces.

"Folks have been there a really long time, and that was never the intention," Naylor told a wildfire briefing Thursday.

"We have worked really hard, but because we can't find rooms in the area, we are looking at moving people to a different location in Manitoba, and that's going to be sorted out over the next probably 24 to 48 hours."

As more communities return home, the province is looking to decommission congregate shelters that were set up to accommodate the more than 22,000 people displaced during the latest set of wildfires.

While most shelters in Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie will close as space has opened up in hotel rooms, the shelter at the Leila Soccer Complex is to stay open in the event of future evacuations.

Manitoba has 21 active wildfires, one-third of them out-of-control.

Fourteen communities remain evacuated, including the city of Flin Flon, home to 5,000 people.

Officials said there are many considerations when determining whether a community is safe to return, such as the presence of medical staff and law enforcement, working hydro and cleaned schools.

Kristin Hayward, with the province's wildfire service, said crews have made steady progress on the 3,700-square-kilometre blaze near Flin Flon, but weather continues to hinder efforts.

Long-term forecasts suggest the province is expected to see prolonged periods of warmer-than-average temperatures, with a potential for lower-than-normal precipitation.

Manitoba also is heading into a season that typically sees a lot of thunderstorms and lightning.

"Things could get worse from here. I won't sugarcoat it, but hopefully they don't," said Hayward.

Further west in Saskatchewan, more than 10,000 people were forced out of their homes in recent weeks due to wildfires, but many have since been allowed to return.

The town of Creighton near the Manitoba boundary said on social media officials are working to restore businesses before its roughly 1,200 residents are allowed to go back.

In nearby Denare Beach, where 218 primary residences burned down, the village said on social media it's looking to find available lodgings for those who lost their homes.

The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency reported 18 active wildfires, including four deemed out of control.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mike Deal

MORE National ARTICLES

Coroner says there's been a sharp spike in females dying from illicit drugs in B.C.

Coroner says there's been a sharp spike in females dying from illicit drugs in B.C.
Illicit drug deaths are down slightly in British Columbia from the same period last year, but the coroners service says females are dying at a much higher rate.  The service says in a statement that 26 per cent of the 1,749 toxicity deaths so far this year were women or girls, and the rate of death among females is up 60 per cent from four years ago.

Coroner says there's been a sharp spike in females dying from illicit drugs in B.C.

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has no intention of stepping down as the leader of the Liberal party by next week. A letter signed by two dozen Liberal MPs asking Trudeau to step down was presented to the prime minister Wednesday at a tense caucus meeting in Ottawa.

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives
Leader Jagmeet Singh says his party will use its next opposition day to force the House of Commons to debate and vote on a motion that calls for urgent action to improve abortion access. Speaking in Montreal, Singh also called out the governing Liberals, saying they haven't done enough to improve abortion access in Canada. 

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report
Seniors 65 years and older are more likely to have access to a family doctor or nurse practitioner than younger adults between 18 and 34, and access to primary care is highest in Ontario and lowest in Nunavut, the CIHI report released Thursday says.  

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies
A man has been sentenced to more than two years in prison as well as receiving a lifetime firearms ban after pleading guilty to multiple robberies in the Lower Mainland. Surrey Mounties say Jaden Kahnapace pleaded guilty earlier this year to three robberies in 2021 that all happened within the span of two weeks.

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton
Mounties in Penticton say a search warrant has led to the seizure of several guns as well as cash and suspected illicit drugs. R-C-M-P say it also resulted in the arrests of four people linked to the home in the one-thousand-block of Government Street.

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton