Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jun, 2025 03:07 PM
  • Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Some wildfire evacuees staying at a shelter in northern Manitoba may be moved elsewhere as more communities return home and the government closes temporary evacuation centres.

Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor said roughly 114 people have been staying at the shelter in Thompson for the past three weeks due to a shortage of hotel spaces.

"Folks have been there a really long time, and that was never the intention," Naylor told a wildfire briefing Thursday.

"We have worked really hard, but because we can't find rooms in the area, we are looking at moving people to a different location in Manitoba, and that's going to be sorted out over the next probably 24 to 48 hours."

As more communities return home, the province is looking to decommission congregate shelters that were set up to accommodate the more than 22,000 people displaced during the latest set of wildfires.

While most shelters in Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie will close as space has opened up in hotel rooms, the shelter at the Leila Soccer Complex is to stay open in the event of future evacuations.

Manitoba has 21 active wildfires, one-third of them out-of-control.

Fourteen communities remain evacuated, including the city of Flin Flon, home to 5,000 people.

Officials said there are many considerations when determining whether a community is safe to return, such as the presence of medical staff and law enforcement, working hydro and cleaned schools.

Kristin Hayward, with the province's wildfire service, said crews have made steady progress on the 3,700-square-kilometre blaze near Flin Flon, but weather continues to hinder efforts.

Long-term forecasts suggest the province is expected to see prolonged periods of warmer-than-average temperatures, with a potential for lower-than-normal precipitation.

Manitoba also is heading into a season that typically sees a lot of thunderstorms and lightning.

"Things could get worse from here. I won't sugarcoat it, but hopefully they don't," said Hayward.

Further west in Saskatchewan, more than 10,000 people were forced out of their homes in recent weeks due to wildfires, but many have since been allowed to return.

The town of Creighton near the Manitoba boundary said on social media officials are working to restore businesses before its roughly 1,200 residents are allowed to go back.

In nearby Denare Beach, where 218 primary residences burned down, the village said on social media it's looking to find available lodgings for those who lost their homes.

The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency reported 18 active wildfires, including four deemed out of control.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mike Deal

MORE National ARTICLES

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada
The immigration minister announced a cap in January as a way to quell the rapid increase in the number of international students, citing pressure on housing, health care and other services. The new policy limits the number of student visa applications the government would accept into processing, and that was expected to result in a 35 per cent drop in the number of students in 2024 compared to last year.

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada

Truck crash in ditch turns fatal

Truck crash in ditch turns fatal
A man has died in Abbotsford after the truck he was driving crashed into a ditch. Police say they were notified of the crash this morning and found a 42-year-old male driver was the sole occupant of the pickup.

Truck crash in ditch turns fatal

Increase for towing fees in September

Increase for towing fees in September
Fees for towing and storing impounded vehicles are set to go up starting in September. The province says it's bumping up the fees to increase the consequences for people who drive dangerously. 

Increase for towing fees in September

Senior assaulted with a baton

Senior assaulted with a baton
Police in North Vancouver are searching for a suspect after a road rage incident where a senior was assaulted with a baton. R-C-M-P say on August 12th at about 4 p-m, a man driving a black Tesla Model 3 was allegedly tailgating another vehicle and speeding.

Senior assaulted with a baton

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner
The British Columbia Coroners Service says at least 192 people died in July in the province due to unregulated drug toxicity, down 15 per cent from the same month last year. The service says in a release that 1,365 people have died of drug toxicity this year up to the end of July, a rate of death that is also down.

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys
British Columbia is moving to allow buildings up to six storeys to have one exit stairwell instead of two in the government's latest effort to boost housing supply. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says in a statement that updating the provincial building code to remove the requirement for a second egress or exit stairwell per floor will facilitate more options for residents who need larger layouts.

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys