Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 May, 2026 08:59 AM
  • Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

An Edmonton city councillor says he and his team are helping a woman facing intimate partner violence relocate with her children after her address was leaked in an alleged privacy breach by a separatist group.

The councillor says he is also hearing from others whose safety and lives have been affected after the group, called The Centurion Project, publicly distributed a list naming nearly three million electors in Alberta and their addresses. Elections Alberta is probing the matter.

"(I feel) deep, deep concern, and anger," said Aaron Paquette, who represents the Dene ward in Edmonton's northeast, in a Sunday phone interview.

"There are so many other people whose stories match this (woman's) and people need to know that they're not alone, and other people who are not experiencing this need to know how devastating it is."

He said his office has advised the woman to contact police. She had to figure out how to break her lease agreement and find a new accommodation over the weekend, the councillor said.

"Can you imagine the stress that this woman is going through," he asked.

"As a parent I feel extremely emotional about this."

Prime Minister Mark Carney called the alleged privacy breach deeply concerning in a weekend statement.

"I expect Elections Alberta and the RCMP to work thoroughly and expeditiously to assess the causes and to pursue appropriate actions against those responsible," he said.

"We must be constantly vigilant to protect the rights of Canadians and the integrity of our democratic processes."

Last week, Elections Alberta announced it is investigating the Centurion Project after it published the list through an app.

The app was taken down Thursday after Elections Alberta got a judge to grant an injunction ordering the group shut it down.

The Centurion Project has since said it will comply with Elections Alberta's investigation, which, among other things, is looking into how the group got a hold of the list.

Lawyers for Elections Alberta told the injunction hearing that investigators determined the database matched a voter list legally provided to the Republican Party of Alberta, a pro-independence party, last summer. 

They said it was still unclear whether the party passed on the list to The Centurion Project or if the list had been obtained through other means.

Such voter lists are only distributed by Elections Alberta to elected officials, political parties and party officials. Provincial law dictates that it can only be used to solicit donations, recruit party members and communicate with electors.

Paquette said this massive privacy breach, like others, has serious consequences.

"Any bad action is a bad action no matter how many times someone else has engaged in it."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Murder probe after boy, 15, stabbed to death on downtown Vancouver street

Murder probe after boy, 15, stabbed to death on downtown Vancouver street
Sgt. Steve Addison said no arrests had been made, and police want to speak to potential witnesses to events leading up to the stabbing, which is believed to have happened around 11:40 p.m. Saturday.

Murder probe after boy, 15, stabbed to death on downtown Vancouver street

Prime Minister Carney to update premiers on U.S. trade talks as Aug. 1 deadline looms

Prime Minister Carney to update premiers on U.S. trade talks as Aug. 1 deadline looms
"As you are aware, our senior ministers, my chief of staff and myself are engaged in continuous discussions," Carney said as he began a meeting with the Council of the Federation in Huntsville, Ont.

Prime Minister Carney to update premiers on U.S. trade talks as Aug. 1 deadline looms

Jasper marks one year since thousands flee wildfire on one road out in dark of night

Jasper marks one year since thousands flee wildfire on one road out in dark of night
Jasper Mayor Richard Ireland thanked 150 people for coming to an outdoor park in town to remember an event that he recognizes will evoke memories some would rather forget.

Jasper marks one year since thousands flee wildfire on one road out in dark of night

Poilievre calls for law to block long ballot protests ahead of Alberta byelection

Poilievre calls for law to block long ballot protests ahead of Alberta byelection
More than 100 candidates sponsored by the Longest Ballot Committee are registered to run against Poilievre in a byelection in the Alberta riding of Battle River—Crowfoot set for Aug. 18.

Poilievre calls for law to block long ballot protests ahead of Alberta byelection

Environmental group seeks ethics investigation into Alberta Premier Smith adviser

Environmental group seeks ethics investigation into Alberta Premier Smith adviser
Susanne Calabrese, a lawyer for Ecojustice, says David Yager's appointments combined with his history of consulting for oil and gas companies put him at odds when he was hired to craft a government strategy for managing inactive oil wells.

Environmental group seeks ethics investigation into Alberta Premier Smith adviser

B.C. court records show second charge against alleged hijacker Shaheer Cassim

B.C. court records show second charge against alleged hijacker Shaheer Cassim
B.C. online court records say a charge of damaging or interfering with a navigation system was sworn Friday against Shaheer Cassim. 

B.C. court records show second charge against alleged hijacker Shaheer Cassim