Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 May, 2026 08:59 AM
  • Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

An Edmonton city councillor says he and his team are helping a woman facing intimate partner violence relocate with her children after her address was leaked in an alleged privacy breach by a separatist group.

The councillor says he is also hearing from others whose safety and lives have been affected after the group, called The Centurion Project, publicly distributed a list naming nearly three million electors in Alberta and their addresses. Elections Alberta is probing the matter.

"(I feel) deep, deep concern, and anger," said Aaron Paquette, who represents the Dene ward in Edmonton's northeast, in a Sunday phone interview.

"There are so many other people whose stories match this (woman's) and people need to know that they're not alone, and other people who are not experiencing this need to know how devastating it is."

He said his office has advised the woman to contact police. She had to figure out how to break her lease agreement and find a new accommodation over the weekend, the councillor said.

"Can you imagine the stress that this woman is going through," he asked.

"As a parent I feel extremely emotional about this."

Prime Minister Mark Carney called the alleged privacy breach deeply concerning in a weekend statement.

"I expect Elections Alberta and the RCMP to work thoroughly and expeditiously to assess the causes and to pursue appropriate actions against those responsible," he said.

"We must be constantly vigilant to protect the rights of Canadians and the integrity of our democratic processes."

Last week, Elections Alberta announced it is investigating the Centurion Project after it published the list through an app.

The app was taken down Thursday after Elections Alberta got a judge to grant an injunction ordering the group shut it down.

The Centurion Project has since said it will comply with Elections Alberta's investigation, which, among other things, is looking into how the group got a hold of the list.

Lawyers for Elections Alberta told the injunction hearing that investigators determined the database matched a voter list legally provided to the Republican Party of Alberta, a pro-independence party, last summer. 

They said it was still unclear whether the party passed on the list to The Centurion Project or if the list had been obtained through other means.

Such voter lists are only distributed by Elections Alberta to elected officials, political parties and party officials. Provincial law dictates that it can only be used to solicit donations, recruit party members and communicate with electors.

Paquette said this massive privacy breach, like others, has serious consequences.

"Any bad action is a bad action no matter how many times someone else has engaged in it."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta names provincial police force, appoints former Calgary officer as first chief

Alberta names provincial police force, appoints former Calgary officer as first chief
Former deputy Calgary police chief Sat Parhar has been tapped to lead the new force, which the province says it intends to call the Alberta Sheriffs Police Service.

Alberta names provincial police force, appoints former Calgary officer as first chief

Applications open now to serve on Sports Hall of Fame advisory board

Applications open now to serve on Sports Hall of Fame advisory board
The plan outlines the implementation of key steps, which include the nomination process, governance structure and the date for the Inaugural Induction Ceremony set for June 2026 at City Hall. Applications are open now for individuals wishing to serve on the Advisory Board and Nominating Committee to ensure a fair and inclusive selection process. 

Applications open now to serve on Sports Hall of Fame advisory board

Fire again threatens Lytton, B.C., one of hundreds of blazes across Canada

Fire again threatens Lytton, B.C., one of hundreds of blazes across Canada
The Izman Creek fire burning north of Lytton prompted the Thompson-Nicola Regional District to issue an evacuation order for three properties and an evacuation alert for nine addresses along Highway 12 on Tuesday.

Fire again threatens Lytton, B.C., one of hundreds of blazes across Canada

Search for another Vancouver Island boa constrictor prompts warning about exotic pets

Search for another Vancouver Island boa constrictor prompts warning about exotic pets
But searchers for the snake had a reliable witness, and cool conditions last week in the area suggested it was unlikely the cold-blooded reptile could have slithered far from where it was seen in Miracle Beach Provincial Park, about 250 kilometres northwest of Victoria.

Search for another Vancouver Island boa constrictor prompts warning about exotic pets

Federal deficit could average $78B over 4 years, think tank warns

Federal deficit could average $78B over 4 years, think tank warns
In a new analysis released today, the think tank says it expects Canada's deficit to top $92 billion this fiscal year, given Prime Minister Mark Carney's plan to meet NATO's defence spending target of two per cent of GDP.

Federal deficit could average $78B over 4 years, think tank warns

Canadian airports returning to normal operations after early morning bomb threats

Canadian airports returning to normal operations after early morning bomb threats
Nav Canada said the early morning threats affected airports in Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver.  

Canadian airports returning to normal operations after early morning bomb threats