Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 May, 2026 08:59 AM
  • Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

An Edmonton city councillor says he and his team are helping a woman facing intimate partner violence relocate with her children after her address was leaked in an alleged privacy breach by a separatist group.

The councillor says he is also hearing from others whose safety and lives have been affected after the group, called The Centurion Project, publicly distributed a list naming nearly three million electors in Alberta and their addresses. Elections Alberta is probing the matter.

"(I feel) deep, deep concern, and anger," said Aaron Paquette, who represents the Dene ward in Edmonton's northeast, in a Sunday phone interview.

"There are so many other people whose stories match this (woman's) and people need to know that they're not alone, and other people who are not experiencing this need to know how devastating it is."

He said his office has advised the woman to contact police. She had to figure out how to break her lease agreement and find a new accommodation over the weekend, the councillor said.

"Can you imagine the stress that this woman is going through," he asked.

"As a parent I feel extremely emotional about this."

Prime Minister Mark Carney called the alleged privacy breach deeply concerning in a weekend statement.

"I expect Elections Alberta and the RCMP to work thoroughly and expeditiously to assess the causes and to pursue appropriate actions against those responsible," he said.

"We must be constantly vigilant to protect the rights of Canadians and the integrity of our democratic processes."

Last week, Elections Alberta announced it is investigating the Centurion Project after it published the list through an app.

The app was taken down Thursday after Elections Alberta got a judge to grant an injunction ordering the group shut it down.

The Centurion Project has since said it will comply with Elections Alberta's investigation, which, among other things, is looking into how the group got a hold of the list.

Lawyers for Elections Alberta told the injunction hearing that investigators determined the database matched a voter list legally provided to the Republican Party of Alberta, a pro-independence party, last summer. 

They said it was still unclear whether the party passed on the list to The Centurion Project or if the list had been obtained through other means.

Such voter lists are only distributed by Elections Alberta to elected officials, political parties and party officials. Provincial law dictates that it can only be used to solicit donations, recruit party members and communicate with electors.

Paquette said this massive privacy breach, like others, has serious consequences.

"Any bad action is a bad action no matter how many times someone else has engaged in it."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Steady May inflation figures don't make the case for rate cuts: economists

Steady May inflation figures don't make the case for rate cuts: economists
The annual pace of inflation held steady at 1.7 per cent last month as cooling shelter costs helped tame price pressures, Statistics Canada said Tuesday.

Steady May inflation figures don't make the case for rate cuts: economists

Carney says Canada will meet new NATO spending target by developing critical minerals

Carney says Canada will meet new NATO spending target by developing critical minerals
Leaders are debating how much to hike the NATO spending target, with NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte proposing to more than double it from the current two per cent of GDP, to five per cent.

Carney says Canada will meet new NATO spending target by developing critical minerals

Surrey adds 60 new bus shelters to improve transit experience

Surrey adds 60 new bus shelters to improve transit experience
The initiative, led by the City’s Engineering Department in partnership with Pattison Outdoor Advertising, will begin in July 2025. The first phase will see 30 new shelters installed at high-ridership locations at no cost to the City. The second phase, funded through the 2025 Community Works Fund Agreement (CWFA), will support the installation of up to 30 additional shelters in underserved areas based on public feedback and accessibility needs.

Surrey adds 60 new bus shelters to improve transit experience

Punishing temperatures return to Central Canada during record-breaking heat wave

Punishing temperatures return to Central Canada during record-breaking heat wave
Forecasters warn extreme heat this early in the season can be particularly alarming since people are not acclimatized to the high heat and humidex values, which are well above normal. 

Punishing temperatures return to Central Canada during record-breaking heat wave

Rustad says staff won't give RCMP 'blackmail' statement as leadership vote begins

Rustad says staff won't give RCMP 'blackmail' statement as leadership vote begins
Rustad, whose leadership of the Opposition is under review in a months-long process that got underway last weekend, has faced questions over his handling of the allegations against a group of former Conservative MLAs he accused in a letter to his caucus.

Rustad says staff won't give RCMP 'blackmail' statement as leadership vote begins

Alberta's auditor general granted extra $1M for health procurement probe

Alberta's auditor general granted extra $1M for health procurement probe
His investigation began earlier this year as a result of allegations made by the former head of Alberta Health Services, the provincial health authority.

Alberta's auditor general granted extra $1M for health procurement probe