Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mark Carney names Kirsten Hillman chief negotiator with U.S.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jun, 2025 10:28 AM
  • Mark Carney names Kirsten Hillman chief negotiator with U.S.

Canada's Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman will take on the role of top negotiator for Canada as the country seeks a new trade and security pact with the Donald Trump administration.

Prime Minister Mark Carney's office confirms Hillman has been named to the position, making her U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer's opposite number in the bilateral trade talks.

Emily Williams, Carney's director of communications, also confirms Hillman will stay on as Canada's ambassador to the U.S., as first reported by The Globe and Mail newspaper.

Hillman has worked at the Canadian embassy in Washington since 2017 and has served as ambassador since her acting appointment in 2019.

There is no fixed term limit for Canadian ambassadors in the U.S. but it's rare for someone to last longer than seven years in the role.

Hillman was a key Canadian negotiator under the first Trump White House when Canada renegotiated NAFTA, and served as Canada’s chief negotiator for the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime
Global Affairs Canada and the Chinese embassy both declined to say how many Canadians were executed or report the names of those killed. Ottawa did confirm they did not include Abbotsford, B.C. native Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, who was sentenced to death for drug smuggling by a Chinese court in 2019.

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime

Ottawa provides $20M for B.C.'s forest sector amid softwood duties, trade war

Ottawa provides $20M for B.C.'s forest sector amid softwood duties, trade war
The federal government is providing about $20 million in funding to support British Columbia's forestry sector, part of Ottawa's effort to bolster the economy amid the Canada-U. S. trade war. Energy Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says it's more important than ever to support the sector, which is subject to American duties on softwood lumber and now faces the additional threat of steep tariffs from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Ottawa provides $20M for B.C.'s forest sector amid softwood duties, trade war

Commercial truck hits B.C. highway overpass, losing lumber load and snarling traffic

Commercial truck hits B.C. highway overpass, losing lumber load and snarling traffic
British Columbia's Highway Patrol says another commercial truck has hit an overpass in Metro Vancouver, causing no visible damage, but snarling traffic on Wednesday. Police say a load of lumber the tractor trailer was hauling along Highway 99 hit the Blundell Road overpass.

Commercial truck hits B.C. highway overpass, losing lumber load and snarling traffic

Consumers could find 'meaningful savings' as carbon price ends: Desjardins

Consumers could find 'meaningful savings' as carbon price ends: Desjardins
Canadians can expect to feel the absence of the consumer carbon price at the pumps immediately but it may take longer to notice a difference in the price of other goods, a new report released Wednesday suggests. The analysis by Desjardins Economics comes less than a week after Prime Minister Mark Carney and his new Liberal cabinet ordered that the consumer levy be set to zero on April 1.

Consumers could find 'meaningful savings' as carbon price ends: Desjardins

End of consumer carbon tax leaves $1.5-billion hole in B.C. budget

End of consumer carbon tax leaves $1.5-billion hole in B.C. budget
The budget released earlier this month shows the province was forecasting revenue of just over $2.5 billion from the tax in the 2024-25 fiscal year, while the estimated cost of the climate action tax credit was $995 million.

End of consumer carbon tax leaves $1.5-billion hole in B.C. budget

Ottawa caps non-sufficient funds fees at $10 starting March 2026

Ottawa caps non-sufficient funds fees at $10 starting March 2026
Ottawa has put in place new rules limiting the fees banks can levy on customers who don't have enough in their accounts to cover a cheque or other pre-authorized charges. The updates, included in an order-in-council last week, cap non-sufficient funds fees at $10 for personal deposit accounts, prohibit charging more than one NSF fee in a period of two business days, and prohibit charging an NSF fee when an account shortfall is under $10.

Ottawa caps non-sufficient funds fees at $10 starting March 2026