Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. sets up climate emergency task force amid wildfire crisis

B.C. sets up climate emergency task force amid wildfire crisis
British Columbia Premier David Eby says he's launching an expert task force into wildfires, drought and heat emergencies that have hammered the province. Eby, who's in the B.C. Interior touring wildfire zones, says the province is still focused on the fire battle, but it also needs to improve prevention and response measures.

B.C. sets up climate emergency task force amid wildfire crisis

Three people injured, suspect in custody following stabbings in Vancouver's Chinatown

Three people injured, suspect in custody following stabbings in Vancouver's Chinatown
One man is in police custody after three people were stabbed at Vancouver's Light Up Chinatown! festival. Vancouver police say the attack took place just before 6 p.m. Sunday, near the festival stage at Columbia and Keefer Streets.

Three people injured, suspect in custody following stabbings in Vancouver's Chinatown

Double shooting in East Vancouver

Double shooting in East Vancouver
Police say they're investigating a double shooting that occurred in East Vancouver over the weekend. Investigators were called after midnight on Sunday about a shooting near Victoria Drive and East 28th Avenue. 

Double shooting in East Vancouver

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended
Residents of wildfire-ravaged Wilson's Landing in West Kelowna, B.C., were granted a four-hour window Friday to access their homes to retrieve important items as an area-wide restriction order was extended to Sept. 15. The Central Okanagan Regional District says in a statement residents were temporarily permitted entry to the evacuation zone, but no further access is expected this weekend.

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year
Prosecutors in British Columbia have approved multiple charges against a Vancouver police officer a year after a pedestrian was hit by a police car in the city's Downtown Eastside. Const. Jack Zhao has been charged with driving without due care and attention, failing to exercise due care to avoid colliding with a pedestrian, and speeding.  

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC
B-C is experiencing a spike in COVID-19 numbers, with cases, hospitalizations and deaths all up in recent weeks. The monthly report from the B-C Centre for Disease Control shows that 447 people tested positive for the virus between August 27th and September 2nd -- more than triple the 133 cases recorded in the first full week of last month.

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC