Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Morning stabbing in Nanaimo

Morning stabbing in Nanaimo
Police in Nanaimo are looking for a knife used in a stabbing this morning. R-C-M-P say one person was stabbed after an altercation in the 100 block of Victoria Crescent.

Morning stabbing in Nanaimo

Liberals could ask Bank of Canada to stop hiking interest rates: NDP

Liberals could ask Bank of Canada to stop hiking interest rates: NDP
The New Democrats say the federal government should follow the lead of British Columbia's premier and ask the Bank of Canada to stop raising interest rates. Premier David Eby wrote to Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem last week and asked him not to hike rates again as Canadians struggle to pay for food and rent.

Liberals could ask Bank of Canada to stop hiking interest rates: NDP

Children's Ministry refuses to compensate youth it misinformed: B.C. Ombudsperson

Children's Ministry refuses to compensate youth it misinformed: B.C. Ombudsperson
British Columbia's government is refusing to pay a young woman for its own mistakes and the provincial ombudsperson says she may not be the only one harmed. Jay Chalke says the Ministry of Children and Family Development gave the woman incorrect information, leading her to believe she was eligible for government support for post-secondary education worth tens of thousands of dollars. 

Children's Ministry refuses to compensate youth it misinformed: B.C. Ombudsperson

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program
The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan. The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district
The Surrey School District says in a statement that it cancelled the rental of Tamanawis Secondary School for the Sept. 10 referendum because promotional posters featured a picture of the school alongside what it called "images of a weapon."  

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district
Some residents of one of the regions most devastated by wildfires in British Columbia will be touring the burned-out site today. The Columbia Shuswap Regional District says in a statement that "some areas of the community have changed dramatically" after the Bush Creek East wildfire swept through, destroying or damaging as many as 200 homes.

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district