Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Homicide in Prince George

Homicide in Prince George
A 23-year-old man has been charged in the death of a Prince George woman. R-C-M-P say the B-C Prosecution Service has approved a charge offirst-degree murder in the death of the 22-year-old woman on July 18th.

Homicide in Prince George

B.C. extends fire state of emergency, says drought could continue into next year

B.C. extends fire state of emergency, says drought could continue into next year
British Columbia is extending its provincial state of emergency over the ongoing wildfires burning in the province while warning that drought conditions could last into 2024. 

B.C. extends fire state of emergency, says drought could continue into next year

B.C. officer who assaulted UBC nursing student receives conditional discharge

B.C. officer who assaulted UBC nursing student receives conditional discharge
The BC Prosecution Service has confirmed a Mountie who pleaded guilty to assaulting a University of British Columbia student during a wellness check in Kelowna has received a conditional discharge and was placed on probation for two years. It says Const. Lacy Browning must also complete 160 hours of community service over the first year, and a $200 "victim fine surcharge" was also imposed.  

B.C. officer who assaulted UBC nursing student receives conditional discharge

Man in mass stabbing at B.C. library gets life sentence with no parole for 15 years

Man in mass stabbing at B.C. library gets life sentence with no parole for 15 years
Yannick Bandaogo, 30, pleaded guilty on May 29 to one count of second-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder over the March 2021 attack in and around the public library in Lynn Valley. Bandaogo apologized to each of his victims in a July hearing, as he described his "story of self-destruction," involving heavy drug use before the attack.

Man in mass stabbing at B.C. library gets life sentence with no parole for 15 years

B.C. Premier Eby writes to Bank of Canada governor, urging him to halt rate hikes

B.C. Premier Eby writes to Bank of Canada governor, urging him to halt rate hikes
British Columbia Premier David Eby is calling on the Bank of Canada to halt further interest rate hikes. In a letter Thursday to Bank of Canada governor Tiff Macklem, Eby urged him to consider the "human impact" of rate hikes. The Bank of Canada is set to make an interest rate decision next Wednesday.

B.C. Premier Eby writes to Bank of Canada governor, urging him to halt rate hikes

Doctors urge parents to ensure kids vaccines up to date as they head back to school

Doctors urge parents to ensure kids vaccines up to date as they head back to school
Public health agencies across the country have been running vaccine catch-up programs, but it's still important for parents to check and ensure their kids are protected against vaccine-preventable illnesses, said Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's chief public health officer. 

Doctors urge parents to ensure kids vaccines up to date as they head back to school