Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography
A Coquitlam man has been sentenced to 13 months in jail after being convicted of child pornography charges. Police say 39-year-old Christopher Thomas Smith was convicted earlier this week for publishing, distributing and possessing the material.

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial
The girl's body was found in Burnaby's Central Park in the early hours of July 19, 2017, just hours after her mother reported her missing. The woman repeatedly wept at the mention of the girl's name during the trial of Ibrahim Ali on Wednesday.  

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial

Canadians split on whether to blame provinces or feds for housing crisis: poll

Canadians split on whether to blame provinces or feds for housing crisis: poll
When asked which level of government deserves the most blame for the crisis, 40 per cent of respondents pointed the finger at the federal government and 32 per cent at their provincial government. Just six per cent of those polled felt their municipal government was to blame and another 22 per cent said they were not sure.  

Canadians split on whether to blame provinces or feds for housing crisis: poll

Pedestrian killed in South Vancouver

Pedestrian killed in South Vancouver
Vancouver Police are investigating after a pedestrian was struck and killed this morning in South Vancouver. A 60-year-old man was struck by a transit bus near Fleming Street and East 41st Ave just after 6 a.m. The man was taken to hospital where he later died.  

Pedestrian killed in South Vancouver

Fire evacuation defiance threatening fight and must end, minister says

Fire evacuation defiance threatening fight and must end, minister says
British Columbia's emergency management minister says people are defying evacuation orders are putting at risk the "unified strategy" for battling the destructive blazes.

Fire evacuation defiance threatening fight and must end, minister says

Liberals look to tackle international student rackets as part of housing crisis

Liberals look to tackle international student rackets as part of housing crisis
Housing Minister Sean Fraser floated several potential solutions, including capping the number of student visas, which increased significantly in recent years. Several experts say they are concerned about the ripple effects of such policies.

Liberals look to tackle international student rackets as part of housing crisis