Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Drowned Surrey man's body found

Drowned Surrey man's body found
Mounties in Chilliwack say they have found the body of a Surrey man who was thought to have drowned in Cultus Lake last month. R-C-M-P say the discovery was made by its Underwater Recovery Team after about a month of searching.  

Drowned Surrey man's body found

Ministers told to find $15 billion in government spending cuts by October deadline

Ministers told to find $15 billion in government spending cuts by October deadline
Treasury Board President Anita Anand is tasking federal cabinet ministers with finding $15.4 billion in government spending cuts by a deadline of Oct. 2. A spokesperson for Anand says the government wants to refocus underutilized funds on critical services such as health care — and it doesn't expect to cut any public-service jobs.

Ministers told to find $15 billion in government spending cuts by October deadline

Statue damaged in Kelowna, hunt on for 4 suspects

Statue damaged in Kelowna, hunt on for 4 suspects
R-C-M-P in Kelowna are looking for four suspects after a city statue was damaged. The Mounties say it happened downtown early Saturday morning when "The Working Man" statue was knocked over.

Statue damaged in Kelowna, hunt on for 4 suspects

BC Hydro seeing record consumption

BC Hydro seeing record consumption
B-C Hydro says it set a new record for the highest peak hourly demand in August on Monday night.  It comes as a heat wave sweeping across the southern half of B-C also sets records, including 37.5 Celsius in Port Alberni, breaking a benchmark set in 1933 and 30.6 Celsius at Yoho National Park, surpassing a mark set in 1930.

BC Hydro seeing record consumption

2 arrested in carjacking delivery van

2 arrested in carjacking delivery van
Two men who have been arrested for allegedly carjacking a delivery van in Richmond failed to consider that many of those vehicles come equipped with G-P-S tracking systems.  R-C-M-P say it happened on Sunday when the driver said his van was taken at gunpoint by two people wearing masks.

2 arrested in carjacking delivery van

Federal Liberals have gone more than six months without appointing ethics watchdog

Federal Liberals have gone more than six months without appointing ethics watchdog
Mario Dion retired in February after serving as the last permanent ethics and conflict-of-interest commissioner. A longtime staffer in that office, Martine Richard, took on an interim role in April — but she resigned within weeks amid controversy around the fact she is the sister-in-law of Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc.

Federal Liberals have gone more than six months without appointing ethics watchdog