Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Province wants feedback on ride hailing, taxi

Province wants feedback on ride hailing, taxi
The B-C government says it wants to hear from British Columbians about taxi and ride-hailing services in the province. The province says it's holding a public meeting in the fall as a special committee is set to review so-called passenger-directed vehicles that come under the Passenger Transportation Act.   

Province wants feedback on ride hailing, taxi

Street expansion coming for Surrey

Street expansion coming for Surrey
City council in Surrey has awarded a contract for designing the widening of 132nd Street between 72nd Avenue to 80th Avenue. The city says in a news release that the expansion to four lanes aims to improve traffic and safety.

Street expansion coming for Surrey

Shooting in Richmond leaves one dead

Shooting in Richmond leaves one dead
A shooting in Richmond  has left one man dead, and police are investigating whether a nearby car fire is related to the case. Richmond RCMP were called to Milner Road at Blundell Road at 5:45 p.m. Thursday for reports of a shooting.  

Shooting in Richmond leaves one dead

3 arrested in Surrey SkyTrain attack

3 arrested in Surrey SkyTrain attack
Surrey transit police say the investigation of an attack on three men near a Surrey SkyTrain station has led to three arrests. Police say the alleged unprovoked stabbing attack on three men happened the evening of June 21st.  

3 arrested in Surrey SkyTrain attack

Let's make a deal, Canada urges U.S. amid latest 'baseless' softwood lumber duties

Let's make a deal, Canada urges U.S. amid latest 'baseless' softwood lumber duties
International Trade Minister Mary Ng is making the overture after a fresh U.S. Commerce Department review maintained duties on softwood imports from Canada. Ng says the duties, while modestly lower, remain an unfair, baseless and punitive measure that hurts the economy on both sides of the border. 

Let's make a deal, Canada urges U.S. amid latest 'baseless' softwood lumber duties

B.C. police share photos of vehicles possibly being used in alleged abduction of kids

B.C. police share photos of vehicles possibly being used in alleged abduction of kids
Mounties in Surrey say they continue to investigate leads and tips in their search for eight-year-old Aurora Bolton and her 10-year-old brother Joshuah, who were allegedly abducted by their mother Verity Bolton earlier this month. 

B.C. police share photos of vehicles possibly being used in alleged abduction of kids