Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Meng case 'unprecedented' in Canada: defence

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Mar, 2021 06:17 PM
  • Meng case 'unprecedented' in Canada: defence

A lawyer for Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou says the case before a British Columbia Supreme Court judge is "unprecedented" in that the extradition request from the United States violates international law.

Gib van Ert says Canadian courts have stayed extradition proceedings because of international law breaches in the past, but in those cases the conduct around the requests was unlawful.

He says the case against Meng is unique in that the request itself is unlawful, as American authorities are seeking the Chinese national on fraud charges that her lawyers argue have no connection to the United States.

Meng has denied allegations that she lied to HSBC in 2013 about Huawei's relationship with a subsidiary doing business in Iran, putting the bank at risk of violating American sanctions.

Her lawyer says that the B.C. court has the authority to act upon international law breaches even though they are not part of the court's usual day-to-day business.

Van Ert says the court is an extension of the Canadian state, and if the judge approves Meng's extradition, it will mean Canada is condoning American breaches of international law.

MORE National ARTICLES

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines
Oxfam Canada and the ONE Campaign say it is wrong for the federal government to agree to accept almost 1.9 million doses of vaccine from the COVAX Facility by the end of June.

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift
Henry said they have concerns about the new and faster-spreading variants of COVID-19 in other jurisdictions and they don't want them to spread in B.C.

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.
Sgt. Frank Jang says Kenworthy is known to police and the shooting was targeted, but it's not yet known if it was gang related.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Military investigates after Vance allegations

Military investigates after Vance allegations
Vance could not be reached for comment on Thursday and the allegations against him could not be independently verified.

Military investigates after Vance allegations

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday
The province confirmed 465 new cases Thursday for a total of 69,245 since the pandemic began.

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report
Turpel-Lafond, a former judge and ex-children's advocate, was appointed by Health Minister Adrian Dix last year to examine anti-Indigenous racism in health care. Her first report came out in November and made 24 recommendations.

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report