Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Meta fights CRTC, refuses to publicly release info on news blocking measures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Nov, 2024 12:55 PM
  • Meta fights CRTC, refuses to publicly release info on news blocking measures

Meta is refusing to publicly disclose information that could determine whether it is subject to the Online News Act despite blocking news from its platforms.

It has declined to follow CRTC directions to either publicly release that information or explain in detail why it should remain confidential, a move that Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge’s office says sends "a troubling message."

"They consider themselves above oversight in the public interest, legislation promised during elections, and even the smallest and most reasonable regulation," a spokesperson said in a statement.

Last year, the company blocked news from Facebook and Instagram in response to the Online News Act. The legislation was aimed at Meta and Google and would have required Meta to compensate media outlets for displaying their content.

But users have found workarounds to continue to share news on the platforms, such as sharing screenshots of news articles and copying text of articles in their posts.

The Liberal government maintains the company could still fall under Online News Act, but that would be up to the CRTC to determine.

The regulator, which operates at arms’ length from government, is in charge of implementing the legislation. Last month, it granted Google an exemption from the act under an agreement that will see Google pay out $100 million to Canadian news outlets.

In early October, the CRTC wrote to Meta, telling the company it "has been made aware of reports that news content from Canadian news outlets continues to be available on Meta’s platforms in Canada."

It asked Meta what measures it’s taking to comply with the Online News Act, and if news is being made available on its platforms.

After the company filed a confidential response, the CRTC told Meta that under its rules, Meta must provide a detailed explanation of why that information should be kept confidential, "including why the specific direct harm that would be likely to result from the disclosure would outweigh the public interest in its disclosure."

The CRTC also told Meta it was required to file an abridged version of the document that doesn’t include the confidential information.

Meta declined to do so in an Oct. 28 response from its public policy director Dan Ball. It said the letter includes specific measures the company uses to remove access to news content, which it has not made public.

"It is in the public interest to maintain this information as confidential so users cannot use it to avoid detection of news that Meta would otherwise remove, thereby undermining the Act rather than ensuring compliance with it."

It said that "the entirety of the Letter contains confidential information relating to the sensitive commercial process that Meta undertakes to ensure compliance."

On Nov. 7, the CRTC told Meta that response wasn’t good enough.

It said Meta didn’t adequately justify why the letter should be kept confidential under the Online News Act. The CRTC said generic statements about harm to a company aren’t sufficient, and that Meta hasn’t justified "how any specific, direct harm to Meta would outweigh the public interest."

It said the information in the letter "could allow for informed public comment on Meta’s practices and whether these practices implicate the Act, which would strongly serve the public interest."

It told Meta to make the letter public. Otherwise, it said, Meta could reply and the CRTC would then determine whether disclosure is in the public interest.

Ball did reply with on Nov. 12, stating only that "the details about the company in our prior response contain confidential information, the justifications for which are in our prior correspondence."

The CRTC now says it is assessing how to respond. Asked whether the CRTC will make the information public, a spokesperson said it is "currently determining next steps, including dealing with confidentiality."

Meta declined to comment, with a spokesperson pointing to its Nov. 12 response to the CRTC.

MORE National ARTICLES

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main
Five additional areas requiring further repair along the feeder main were detected late last week, but Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek told an update Sunday that a robotic inspection of 300 metres more of the pipe found no further breaches.

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men
Mounties in Richmond are looking for witnesses to an alleged robbery in which the victim reported being attacked and robbed by as many as eight masked people. Police say the man was leaving a plaza in the area of Number 3 Road and Williams Road, where he says he was hit in the head with a weapon and his backpack was stolen.

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou
A major provincial park expansion will create a protection zone of almost 2,000 square kilometres for caribou and other species in northeastern British Columbia. The Ministry of Environment says in a statement that the addition to the Klinse-za Park will make it the largest provincial park established in the province in a decade.

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam
RCMP are crediting their Air Services team with helping in the arrest of a dangerous driver in Coquitlam. The Mounties say a motorcyclist was seen speeding and weaving in and out of traffic along Coast Meridian Road near David Avenue on May 31st.

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam

3 arrested in drug seizure

3 arrested in drug seizure
Mounties in Prince George say they arrested three people after executing a search warrant at a home in the city. They say officers found about 50 grams of suspected methamphetamine, 60 grams of suspected fentanyl, four replica firearms, ammunition, two-thousand dollars in cash and other drug trafficking paraphernalia at the home on Nicholson Street.

3 arrested in drug seizure

Man allegedly assaulted in Burnaby

Man allegedly assaulted in Burnaby
Mounties in Burnaby are investigating an alleged assault of a 55-year-old man who was walking on trail in the city's Central Park yesterday morning. They say that around 8 a-m, the victim was assaulted by a man with a large stick in an area between the pool and the gazebo.

Man allegedly assaulted in Burnaby