Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jan, 2022 03:41 PM
  • Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

OTTAWA - Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson is overhauling a methane-reduction program that the environment commissioner slammed last fall as poorly designed and a waste of money.

The third round of applications for the $675-million onshore program of the Emissions Reduction Fund was initially set to close today, but it has been put on hold while Wilkinson's department tries to address some of those concerns.

The program offers loans of up to $50 million to help oil and gas producers meet or exceed regulations enforcing cuts to their methane emissions.

The first two rounds resulted in $134 million in funding for 81 projects by 26 companies.

In an audit of the first round, Environment Commissioner Jerry DeMarco criticized the program as wasteful and inefficient, with sketchy claims on emissions that were being cut and no evidence the projects would not have gone ahead without the program.

Wilkinson intends to change the eligibility criteria so that funds would only go to projects that fully eliminate venting or flaring of methane from oil and gas installations and that help companies go above and beyond what is required by new methane regulations.

MORE National ARTICLES

No response from PM an 'insult': B.C. First Nation

No response from PM an 'insult': B.C. First Nation
A statement on Thursday from the First Nation in Kamloops, B.C., said the lack of a response to two letters was "an added insult," but it looks forward to welcoming Trudeau in the community later this month.

No response from PM an 'insult': B.C. First Nation

Latest COVID models show B.C. kids most at risk

Latest COVID models show B.C. kids most at risk
The report by 12 epidemiologists, mathematicians and data analysts, from the universities of Victoria and British Columbia, Simon Fraser University and the private sector, covers the period up to Oct. 4.

Latest COVID models show B.C. kids most at risk

B.C. Liberals criticize NDP's fire, heat responses

B.C. Liberals criticize NDP's fire, heat responses
Fraser Nicola Liberal Jackie Tegart says Premier John Horgan's pledge to rebuild the community of Lytton following last June's wildfire that destroyed the community has failed to materialize.    

B.C. Liberals criticize NDP's fire, heat responses

Jagmeet Singh Announces NDP Leadership Roles in the House

Jagmeet Singh Announces NDP Leadership Roles in the House
Today, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh announced his party’s House Officers and that the NDP caucus has elected veteran MP Jenny Kwan as Caucus Chair and newly-elected MP Blake Desjarlais as Deputy Caucus Chair.

Jagmeet Singh Announces NDP Leadership Roles in the House

Macklem: Need for vaccines in developing nations

Macklem: Need for vaccines in developing nations
Tiff Macklem says the pandemic is not just the biggest health risk facing the world, but also the largest economic risk. In a speech today, he says governments and the private sector must work together to make vaccines available to all.

Macklem: Need for vaccines in developing nations

Vaccine ask for children coming mid-month: Pfizer

Vaccine ask for children coming mid-month: Pfizer
The U.S. drugmaker submitted data from a clinical trial involving kids five to 11 years old last week, and made the formal request for it to be authorized for that age group in the U.S. Thursday.

Vaccine ask for children coming mid-month: Pfizer