Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jan, 2022 03:41 PM
  • Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

OTTAWA - Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson is overhauling a methane-reduction program that the environment commissioner slammed last fall as poorly designed and a waste of money.

The third round of applications for the $675-million onshore program of the Emissions Reduction Fund was initially set to close today, but it has been put on hold while Wilkinson's department tries to address some of those concerns.

The program offers loans of up to $50 million to help oil and gas producers meet or exceed regulations enforcing cuts to their methane emissions.

The first two rounds resulted in $134 million in funding for 81 projects by 26 companies.

In an audit of the first round, Environment Commissioner Jerry DeMarco criticized the program as wasteful and inefficient, with sketchy claims on emissions that were being cut and no evidence the projects would not have gone ahead without the program.

Wilkinson intends to change the eligibility criteria so that funds would only go to projects that fully eliminate venting or flaring of methane from oil and gas installations and that help companies go above and beyond what is required by new methane regulations.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July

B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July
The report comes less than a month after chief coroner Lisa Lapointe said January to June was the deadliest ever for drug toxicity in B.C. With data from July added, the report says the 1,204 suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths are the highest ever in the first seven months of a year — 28 per cent above the same period last year.    

B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July

652 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

652 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
British Columbia has recorded another 652 cases of COVID-19 and 2 related deaths, according to an update posted after officials announced new regional restrictions for part of the Lower Mainland. There has been an uptick in coronavirus hospitalizations to 316, up from 303 on Monday, with 141 patients in ICU.

652 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Long-term care residents need boosters: NACI

Long-term care residents need boosters: NACI
The committee recommends long-term care residents and people living in seniors' homes receive another shot of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine — like Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna — as long as it has been six months since their last shot.

Long-term care residents need boosters: NACI

Alleged COVID-19 violator could lose B.C. condo

Alleged COVID-19 violator could lose B.C. condo
A message left with his lawyer was not immediately returned and Movassaghi has not responded to the forfeiture action, but court documents show he has until mid-October to reply.

Alleged COVID-19 violator could lose B.C. condo

COVID-19 restrictions brought in for B.C. region

COVID-19 restrictions brought in for B.C. region
Organized events like weddings or conferences will be limited to 10 people, or 50 people outside, unless everyone is fully vaccinated, which can be verified on the province's vaccine passport.

COVID-19 restrictions brought in for B.C. region

Surrey Hospitals Foundation Appoints Harp Dhillon as New Board Chair

Surrey Hospitals Foundation Appoints Harp Dhillon as New Board Chair
Harp is taking over the role from Ron Knight who is stepping down after 11 years serving as Board Chair since 2010. Harp has been on the Foundation’s Board of Directors since 2014 and served as the Vice-Chair for the past year.

Surrey Hospitals Foundation Appoints Harp Dhillon as New Board Chair