Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jan, 2022 03:41 PM
  • Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

OTTAWA - Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson is overhauling a methane-reduction program that the environment commissioner slammed last fall as poorly designed and a waste of money.

The third round of applications for the $675-million onshore program of the Emissions Reduction Fund was initially set to close today, but it has been put on hold while Wilkinson's department tries to address some of those concerns.

The program offers loans of up to $50 million to help oil and gas producers meet or exceed regulations enforcing cuts to their methane emissions.

The first two rounds resulted in $134 million in funding for 81 projects by 26 companies.

In an audit of the first round, Environment Commissioner Jerry DeMarco criticized the program as wasteful and inefficient, with sketchy claims on emissions that were being cut and no evidence the projects would not have gone ahead without the program.

Wilkinson intends to change the eligibility criteria so that funds would only go to projects that fully eliminate venting or flaring of methane from oil and gas installations and that help companies go above and beyond what is required by new methane regulations.

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD investigates disturbing Downtown Eastside attack

VPD investigates disturbing Downtown Eastside attack
The victim, a 22-year-old Downtown Eastside resident, was standing in front of the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre at Columbia Street and East Cordova when he felt a sharp pain in his leg and realized he’d been shot. With an arrow lodged just below his kneecap, the victim walked a block to Insite, where staff gave first aid and called 9-1-1.

VPD investigates disturbing Downtown Eastside attack

Federal deficit hit $48.5 billion in July

Federal deficit hit $48.5 billion in July
The Finance Department's regular fiscal monitor says the budgetary deficit between April and July was just under $48.5 billion, down from the almost $148.6 billion recorded over the same months in 2020 when COVID-19 first struck.

Federal deficit hit $48.5 billion in July

Vote count could spill into weekend

Vote count could spill into weekend
Officials started counting mail ballots on Friday morning in Nanaimo-Ladysmith, a three-way battle between the NDP, Tories and Greens, according to Elections Canada. Votes tallied on election night from polling stations suggest the NDP have a narrow lead in the B.C. riding.

Vote count could spill into weekend

Some health triage has begun in Alberta: doctor

Some health triage has begun in Alberta: doctor
Parks said that in recent days some critically ill COVID-19 patients who should have been on ventilators were not getting them. That's on top of previously announced mass cancellations of surgeries, along with patient transfers, as doctors balance medical need with available space, he said.

Some health triage has begun in Alberta: doctor

Police look at new MP for alleged flyer tampering

Police look at new MP for alleged flyer tampering
George Chahal, a former city councillor, won the only non-Conservative seat in Calgary, edging out Conservative Jag Sahota in the riding of Calgary Skyview.

Police look at new MP for alleged flyer tampering

Meng Wanzhou reaches deal with U.S. prosecutors

Meng Wanzhou reaches deal with U.S. prosecutors
Meng, who appeared in court via video link, answered most of Judge Ann Donnelly's questions with simple yes and no answers, all with the help of a court-appointed translator.

Meng Wanzhou reaches deal with U.S. prosecutors