Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jan, 2022 03:41 PM
  • Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

OTTAWA - Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson is overhauling a methane-reduction program that the environment commissioner slammed last fall as poorly designed and a waste of money.

The third round of applications for the $675-million onshore program of the Emissions Reduction Fund was initially set to close today, but it has been put on hold while Wilkinson's department tries to address some of those concerns.

The program offers loans of up to $50 million to help oil and gas producers meet or exceed regulations enforcing cuts to their methane emissions.

The first two rounds resulted in $134 million in funding for 81 projects by 26 companies.

In an audit of the first round, Environment Commissioner Jerry DeMarco criticized the program as wasteful and inefficient, with sketchy claims on emissions that were being cut and no evidence the projects would not have gone ahead without the program.

Wilkinson intends to change the eligibility criteria so that funds would only go to projects that fully eliminate venting or flaring of methane from oil and gas installations and that help companies go above and beyond what is required by new methane regulations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Chamber to leaders: Let's talk critical minerals

Chamber to leaders: Let's talk critical minerals
The chamber says Canada is missing a "major opportunity" to be a world power in producing the minerals and rare-earth elements that power everything from cellphones to electric cars.

Chamber to leaders: Let's talk critical minerals

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate
Only four leaders — the Liberals' Justin Trudeau, the Conservatives' Erin O'Toole, the Bloc Québécois' Yves-Francois Blanchet and the NDP's Jagmeet Singh — will take part.

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV
The board says August home sales in the region totalled 3,152, a 3.4 per cent increase from 3,047 last August, but a 5.2 per cent decrease from 3,326 in July. The board says sales last month were about 20 per cent higher than the 10-year August sales average.    

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV

A look at vaccine passports across Canada

A look at vaccine passports across Canada
Starting Sept. 13, people will have to show proof of having had a single dose of a vaccine to enter gyms, fitness centres and casinos. After Oct. 24, those aged 12 and older will need to be fully vaccinated at least seven days earlier. The government says the B.C. Vaccine Card will be downloaded onto mobile phones.

A look at vaccine passports across Canada

785 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

785 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
B.C. added 785 new COVID-19 cases for Wednesday. There have now been 166,853 cases of COVID-19 in B.C. since the pandemic began, as well as 1,818 related deaths.

785 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Threatening note received at Langley Islamic Center

Threatening note received at Langley Islamic Center
Investigators have engaged the BC Hate Crime Unit and INSET (Integrated National Security Enforcement Team) to collaborate and are endeavouring to identify the author of the note and following all investigative avenues in this investigation.

Threatening note received at Langley Islamic Center