Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jan, 2022 03:41 PM
  • Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

OTTAWA - Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson is overhauling a methane-reduction program that the environment commissioner slammed last fall as poorly designed and a waste of money.

The third round of applications for the $675-million onshore program of the Emissions Reduction Fund was initially set to close today, but it has been put on hold while Wilkinson's department tries to address some of those concerns.

The program offers loans of up to $50 million to help oil and gas producers meet or exceed regulations enforcing cuts to their methane emissions.

The first two rounds resulted in $134 million in funding for 81 projects by 26 companies.

In an audit of the first round, Environment Commissioner Jerry DeMarco criticized the program as wasteful and inefficient, with sketchy claims on emissions that were being cut and no evidence the projects would not have gone ahead without the program.

Wilkinson intends to change the eligibility criteria so that funds would only go to projects that fully eliminate venting or flaring of methane from oil and gas installations and that help companies go above and beyond what is required by new methane regulations.

MORE National ARTICLES

867 COVID19 cases for Friday

867 COVID19 cases for Friday
Three more people have died, while 159 people are in hospital and 84 of those are in intensive care. There are 5,657 active cases in the province and nearly 39 per cent of those are in the Interior Health region, where tougher restrictions were put in place this month.

867 COVID19 cases for Friday

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals
Melanie Mark, the minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says events will be eligible to claim up to $250,000 with applications open until Oct. 1. The money can go toward operational costs, health and safety measures, venue rental, marketing, wages and promotion.

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD
The BC Prosecution Service has approved charges of sexual assault and sexual interference against Sangris, related to an incident on August 13. VPD is continuing to investigate the possibility of any connections between that incident and other unsolved gropings in the area.

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD

Federal government posts $12.7B deficit for June

Federal government posts $12.7B deficit for June
Program spending, excluding net actuarial losses, totalled $39.1 billion in June, down from $51.3 billion a year earlier. Revenue increased to $29.6 billion for the month, up from $19.9 billion in June last year.

Federal government posts $12.7B deficit for June

Garneau: 500 more Canadians out of Kabul by U.S.

Garneau: 500 more Canadians out of Kabul by U.S.
Canada's military mission in Afghanistan ended that day, leaving an unknown number of Canadians and their families trapped, as well as vulnerable Afghans who fear Taliban reprisals.

Garneau: 500 more Canadians out of Kabul by U.S.

Parties prescribe health measures on the hustings

Parties prescribe health measures on the hustings
During a stop in Mississauga, Ont., Justin Trudeau says a re-elected Liberal government would procure enough vaccines to ensure all Canadians have access to free COVID-19 booster shots and any needed second-generation vaccines.

Parties prescribe health measures on the hustings