Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Military dealing with 900 unvaccinated troops

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jan, 2022 02:05 PM
  • Military dealing with 900 unvaccinated troops

OTTAWA - The Department of National Defence says formal proceedings have been launched against more than 900 members of the Canadian Armed Forces for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

Chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre ordered all military personnel to attest to having been fully vaccinated by mid-October. The deadline was later extended to mid-December.

Defence Department spokesman Daniel Le Bouthillier says reviews had been launched against 100 Armed Forces members by the end of December for repeatedly refusing to get their jabs.

Another 800 had received warnings, orders to attend counselling and other remedial measures, and could also be forced to hang up their uniforms if they would not get the shot.

Le Bouthillier says 44 full-time members of the Armed Forces have volunteered to leave the military rather than get jabbed, along with an unknown number of part-time reservists.

Last month, the Federal Court dismissed a request from several Armed Forces members to stop the military from forcing them to get vaccinated, the latest in a string of legal defeats for federal government employees fighting vaccine requirements.

MORE National ARTICLES

PM meets American CEOs, extends invitation for larger investment in new tech (2nd Ld)

PM meets American CEOs, extends invitation for larger investment in new tech (2nd Ld)
In the first leg of his US visit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday met leading American CEOs in Washington. He held one-on-one meetings with the CEOs of semiconductor and wireless technology manufacturer Qualcomm, software major Adobe, renewable energy firm First Solar, arms manufacturer General Atomics and investment management company Blackstone.

PM meets American CEOs, extends invitation for larger investment in new tech (2nd Ld)

Two males shot at Newton residence

Two males shot at Newton residence
On September 23, 2021, at approximately 5:00 am, Surrey RCMP responded to the report of two males shot at a residence in the 8800 block of 140B Street.  A 23-year-old man and a 47-year-old man were transported to hospital with what are believed to be non-life threatening injuries.

Two males shot at Newton residence

Surrey RCMP arrest prohibited driver with help from Air 1

Surrey RCMP arrest prohibited driver with help from Air 1
The officers recognized the person behind the wheel, and confirmed via police checks that he was prohibited from driving. Although the police were in an unmarked vehicle, and had not yet engaged their emergency equipment, the driver reacted and fled the area at a high rate of speed.    

Surrey RCMP arrest prohibited driver with help from Air 1

Result in 4 federal B.C. ridings still undecided

Result in 4 federal B.C. ridings still undecided
Noormohamed was incorrectly projected as winner Wednesday night after the Elections Canada website showed 100 per cent of the polls in the riding had reported.

Result in 4 federal B.C. ridings still undecided

COVID-19 infections close B.C. school

COVID-19 infections close B.C. school
Online learning will be offered until the school's expected reopening on Oct. 4. The Ministry of Health reported 759 new cases of COVID-19 in B.C. on Wednesday, with 5,458 active cases provincewide.

COVID-19 infections close B.C. school

Man charged in Vernon, B.C., homicide

Man charged in Vernon, B.C., homicide
RCMP say they responded to reports of shooting near Vernon and discovered a man's body at the scene. They say a man was arrested later the same day near Armstrong, B.C.

Man charged in Vernon, B.C., homicide