Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 03:09 PM
  • Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system
 

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says further reforms to Canada's immigration and asylum systems will be proposed in the coming weeks. 

This comes on the heels of a significant cut to the amount of permanent residents being admitted to Canada in two years, and the tightening of rules around temporary worker permits. 

Statistics provided by Canadian officials show the average wait time to process refugee and asylum claims is around 44 months.

Miller tells the House of Commons immigration committee that the asylum and refugee system is not working the way it should due to volume and inefficiency. 

The minister said that this result is not unsurprising, as he says more people are being counselled to file asylum claims where he doesn't think they should have the ability to do so.

There were nearly 250,000 refugee claims that need to be decided as of the end of September and at the time 48,000 asylum claims had been processed since the beginning of this year.

MORE National ARTICLES

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events
Eighteen communities, from White Rock to Ucluelet and Sooke to Port McNeill, are holding so-called high ground hikes next week as a way to raise awareness about what to do in the event of a tsunami.  It’s tsunami preparedness week from April 14th to 20th, and many areas of coastal B-C are vulnerable to the massive waves from an earthquake, similar to the 1964 Alaska quake that damaged Port Alberni. 

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital
Mounties in Richmond are seeking witnesses or dash cam footage of a single vehicle crash that sent the driver to hospital in critical condition. Police say shortly before 10:45 p.m. on April 4th a black Mercedes, was travelling southbound on No 6 Road when it left the road, struck an embankment and landed straddling the ditch.

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness
A man who stabbed 79-year-old Eric Kutzner to death in a Nanaimo coffee shop two years ago has been found not criminally responsible on account of a mental disorder.  James Turok was convicted of second-degree murder in a B-C Supreme Court but will instead stay at the provincial forensic psychiatric hospital, Associate Chief Justice Heather Homes has ruled. 

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested following an investigation into alleged drug trafficking at a local residence.  Mounties say the man was seen leaving his home in a stolen vehicle during an investigation last week and officers later arrested the driver, who was identified as 42-year-old James Alan Webb.

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support
The New Democrats are facing political headwinds when it comes to carbon pricing, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged Friday, but he said he doesn't understand why they're pulling back their support. The NDP have long been proponents of the climate policy, and even campaigned on it in the 2019 election. 

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support

Low-income renters got a benefit. Scammers took one day to target it, BC Housing says

Low-income renters got a benefit. Scammers took one day to target it, BC Housing says
BC Housing is warning of scammers targeting recipients of a support scheme for elderly low-income renters, just one day after it was announced. The housing agency says in a "fraud alert" on its website and social media that it will never use text messages to invite recipients to claim benefits.

Low-income renters got a benefit. Scammers took one day to target it, BC Housing says