Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 03:09 PM
  • Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system
 

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says further reforms to Canada's immigration and asylum systems will be proposed in the coming weeks. 

This comes on the heels of a significant cut to the amount of permanent residents being admitted to Canada in two years, and the tightening of rules around temporary worker permits. 

Statistics provided by Canadian officials show the average wait time to process refugee and asylum claims is around 44 months.

Miller tells the House of Commons immigration committee that the asylum and refugee system is not working the way it should due to volume and inefficiency. 

The minister said that this result is not unsurprising, as he says more people are being counselled to file asylum claims where he doesn't think they should have the ability to do so.

There were nearly 250,000 refugee claims that need to be decided as of the end of September and at the time 48,000 asylum claims had been processed since the beginning of this year.

MORE National ARTICLES

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer
Fewer than half of Canadians believe the federal government's plan to regulate social media sites will make platforms safer, a new survey suggests. Polling firm Leger recently asked Canadians about the Liberal government's proposed Online Harms Act, which contains a suite of measures meant to make social media platforms safer, particularly for children.

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust
Police in Port Hardy say they've arrested six people in a drug investigation after seizing guns, and suspected fentanyl and cocaine, after executing a pair of search warrants over the weekend. Port Hardy R-C-M-P say there's been a recent uptick in overdose deaths in the north island community. 

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man
Police in Surrey say a 38-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder, 18 months after the shooting death of 37-year-old Troy Michael Regnier.  Surrey R-C-M-P say the B-C Prosecution Service has charged Justin Bos in Regnier's death.  

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew is asking the federal government to call for an immediate ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war. Kinew says Israel has the right to exist, and Hamas must be destroyed, but the growing destruction and famine in civilian areas must stop.

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says

Pedestrian hit in Abbotsford

Pedestrian hit in Abbotsford
Police say a 52-year-old woman has suffered serious injuries after being hit by a vehicle at an Abbotsford intersection. Abbotsford police say the woman was taken to hospital after the collision, but no updates on her condition have been given.

Pedestrian hit in Abbotsford

Disaster aid in Fraser Valley floods

Disaster aid in Fraser Valley floods
The federal government estimates it will need to pay almost $3.4 billion for its share of the disaster recovery bills for flooding and landslides that devastated British Columbia's Fraser Valley in November 2021. But more than two years after that disaster occurred, only about 40 per cent of that has been paid.

Disaster aid in Fraser Valley floods