Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

N.B. Liberals promise subsidy for home renos

N.B. Liberals promise subsidy for home renos
While campaigning Thursday in Oromocto, N.B., Kevin Vickers said the program will focus on promoting energy efficiency to help homeowners reduce their monthly bills.

N.B. Liberals promise subsidy for home renos

Lawsuit against makers of burst Montreal-area dike

Lawsuit against makers of burst Montreal-area dike
The dike burst on April 27, 2019, forcing some 6,500 people from their homes without notice.

Lawsuit against makers of burst Montreal-area dike

Virus kneecapped Canadian confidence: Poll

Virus kneecapped Canadian confidence: Poll
Sixty-one per cent of Canadians who took part in the Pew Research Center survey released Thursday described the country's current economic situation as bad, more than twice the 27 per cent who said the same thing last year.

Virus kneecapped Canadian confidence: Poll

Feds short $14B on equalization: PBO

Feds short $14B on equalization: PBO
The parliamentary budget officer's review of a decade of federal payments to provinces showed that federal coffers have saved $14.5 billion over that time.

Feds short $14B on equalization: PBO

Military members asked to use COVID-19 app

Military members asked to use COVID-19 app
Chief of defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance and Defence Department deputy minister Jody Thomas say they understand some may have concerns when it comes to privacy and secrecy.

Military members asked to use COVID-19 app

Tories ask languages czar to probe WE deal

Tories ask languages czar to probe WE deal
Conservative MP Richard Martel alleges in a letter to commissioner Raymond Theberge that the youth group did not have the ability to deliver the multimillion-dollar Canada Student Service Grant program in both of Canada's official languages.

Tories ask languages czar to probe WE deal