Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fitch issues warning over federal spending

Fitch issues warning over federal spending
A major global credit rating agency is issuing a new warning about federal debt that it says may become more difficult to tackle once the pandemic passes.

Fitch issues warning over federal spending

Deadly motorcyle crash in Langley

Deadly motorcyle crash in Langley
Police were called shortly before 10:00 his morning to attend the collision that is believed to have occurred earlier in the morning.

Deadly motorcyle crash in Langley

Richmond RCMP are looking for witnesses of unprovoked attack on Autistic teen

Richmond RCMP are looking for witnesses of unprovoked attack on Autistic teen
At approximately 7:00 pm on August 21, 2020 an autistic teen was playing basketball with a group of people when he was allegedly assaulted.

Richmond RCMP are looking for witnesses of unprovoked attack on Autistic teen

Victim of Catholic priest awarded $844,000 by court

Victim of Catholic priest awarded $844,000 by court
A former elementary school teacher who says she was sexually assaulted by a Roman Catholic priest more than 40 years ago in Kamloops, B.C., has been awarded nearly $850,000 in damages by a judge.

Victim of Catholic priest awarded $844,000 by court

Two B.C. parents challenge school reopening plans

Two B.C. parents challenge school reopening plans
Two fathers have filed an injunction application demanding the British Columbia government implement tougher safety measures aimed at protecting students from the risks of COVID-19 before schools reopen.

Two B.C. parents challenge school reopening plans

WATCH: NHL gets backlash for not speaking up sooner on Jacob Blake Shooting, China will not ship vaccine to Canada

WATCH: NHL gets backlash for not speaking up sooner on Jacob Blake Shooting, China will not ship vaccine to Canada
WATCH- NHL takes heat on social media and from critics for not responding earlier to the anti-racism rhetoric in the wake of the Jacob Blake shooting. No vaccine for Canada from China. 

WATCH: NHL gets backlash for not speaking up sooner on Jacob Blake Shooting, China will not ship vaccine to Canada