Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. teachers' union calls for smaller classes

B.C. teachers' union calls for smaller classes
The B.C. Teachers' Federation wants the province to reduce class sizes and make the use of masks mandatory wherever physical distancing isn't possible as part of its back-to-school plan.

B.C. teachers' union calls for smaller classes

Thousands of docs on WE Charity affair released

Thousands of docs on WE Charity affair released
Thousands of pages of newly released documents back up the Trudeau government's contention that it was federal public servants who recommended a student service grant program be administered by WE Charity.

Thousands of docs on WE Charity affair released

N.S. RCMP continue search for missing teen

N.S. RCMP continue search for missing teen
Nova Scotia RCMP are releasing new information in the hopes of finding a 14-year-old Cape Breton girl who has not been seen since last Thursday.

N.S. RCMP continue search for missing teen

Extreme heat study a warning for Canada

Extreme heat study a warning for Canada
A Canadian co-author of research that finds extreme heat risks from climate change in U.S. cities are much higher than previously thought says the study is also a warning for Canada.

Extreme heat study a warning for Canada

Andrew Furey sworn in as N.L. premier

Andrew Furey sworn in as N.L. premier
Andrew Furey has been sworn in as premier of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Andrew Furey sworn in as N.L. premier

Cape Breton man wins lottery for second time

Cape Breton man wins lottery for second time
Raymond Lillington stared at his lottery ticket in disbelief following last Saturday's Lotto 649 draw, thinking he couldn't have won a jackpot worth several million dollars — again.

Cape Breton man wins lottery for second time