Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

Quebec police reporting uptick in online threats

Quebec police reporting uptick in online threats
Earlier this week, interim Parti Quebecois Leader Pascal Berube called out online threats posted against him and his partner as politicians of all stripes denounced the comments.

Quebec police reporting uptick in online threats

Cargo theft a growing concern in Canada

Cargo theft a growing concern in Canada
In 2014, when the bureau started compiling cargo theft statistics, $270,000 in stolen cargo was recovered. In 2019, that figure was $14 million.

Cargo theft a growing concern in Canada

N.S. First Nation launches lobster fleet

N.S. First Nation launches lobster fleet
A Canadian Coast Guard vessel was spotted offshore, but a federal spokeswoman later said there were no reports of violence on the water.

N.S. First Nation launches lobster fleet

WATCH: Early Election For BC a possibility

WATCH: Early Election For BC a possibility
WATCH: It’s a trick or a treat for the BC NDP as the possibility of an early provincial election looms for British Columbians.

WATCH: Early Election For BC a possibility

Virtual health care here to stay

Virtual health care here to stay
Patient advocates describe the shift as a double-edged sword, saying the increased health-care access that remote care can provide is often countered by drawbacks that place seniors, disabled Canadians and other marginalized communities at greater risk of harm.

Virtual health care here to stay

Mourners grieve Traynor family killed in shooting

Mourners grieve Traynor family killed in shooting
Fifty-year-old Chris Traynor and the couple's children, 20-year-old Bradley Traynor, 15-year-old Adelaide Traynor and 11-year-old Joseph Traynor were killed in their home earlier this month.

Mourners grieve Traynor family killed in shooting