Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

Cable of B.C. gondola cut for second time

Cable of B.C. gondola cut for second time
Vandals were blamed for cutting the nearly six-centimetre thick cable in August 2019 while the ride was closed, sending about 30 gondolas smashing to the ground.

Cable of B.C. gondola cut for second time

Man Arrested Following Indecent Act In Front of Two Teenage Girls

Man Arrested Following Indecent Act In Front of Two Teenage Girls
On September 1, 2020, Leon Stevens, a 35-year-old North Vancouver man, was arrested and charged with indecent act and exposing genitals to a person under the age of 16.

Man Arrested Following Indecent Act In Front of Two Teenage Girls

$30M upgrade coming to dangerous B.C. logging road

$30M upgrade coming to dangerous B.C. logging road
B.C. Indigenous Relations Minister Scott Fraser and leaders of the Huu-ay-aht First Nation announced Friday their governments will spend more than $30 million combined over three years to make Bamfield Road safer.

$30M upgrade coming to dangerous B.C. logging road

B.C. protects nine areas of old-growth forest

B.C. protects nine areas of old-growth forest
In July 2019, B.C. announced a panel to conduct an independent strategic review of old-growth forests, which resulted in a report containing 14 recommendations.

B.C. protects nine areas of old-growth forest

13 year old girl seriously injured after being hit by a vehicle in Burnaby

13 year old girl seriously injured after being hit by a vehicle in Burnaby
At 08:30 a.m., police received a report that a 13-year-old female pedestrian had been struck by a vehicle close to the intersection of Kensington Avenue and Union Street in Burnaby.

13 year old girl seriously injured after being hit by a vehicle in Burnaby

Iqaluit city council green-lights pot shop

Iqaluit city council green-lights pot shop
The council's motion registry states that the letter of approval is to be forwarded to the territorial government, which has final say over whether the business can launch.

Iqaluit city council green-lights pot shop