Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister planning to table First Nations water bill despite provincial opposition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jul, 2025 09:54 AM
  • Minister planning to table First Nations water bill despite provincial opposition

The federal minister of Indigenous services says her government plans to reintroduce legislation to ensure First Nations' rights to clean drinking water — despite calls from Alberta and Ontario for it to scrap the bill altogether.

Environment ministers from Alberta and Ontario sent a letter to their federal counterpart calling on Prime Minister Mark Carney's government to abandon legislation they see as undermining competitiveness and delaying project development.

One of the bills they singled out is C-61, legislation introduced in the last Parliament that sought to ensure First Nations have clean drinking water and are able to protect fresh water sources on their territories.

That bill faced a lengthy committee process but was not passed into law before Parliament was prorogued.

In an emailed statement, a spokesperson for Indigenous Services Minister Mandy Gull-Masty says everyone in Canada should have access to clean water and the government intends to bring the bill back in the fall.

Livi McElrea says provinces and territories share responsibility for reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and the federal government is calling on all jurisdictions "to support this critical legislation."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

MORE National ARTICLES

'Several critical safety failures' behind B.C. workers death, WorkSafeBC says

'Several critical safety failures' behind B.C. workers death, WorkSafeBC says
WorkSafeBC says a worker killed in Vancouver last year when a mould used for concrete fell 26 storeys should never have been able to stand where she was. The report released by the province's worker safety agency says "several critical safety failures" are to blame for the death of the woman at the Oakridge Park development site in February of 2024. 

'Several critical safety failures' behind B.C. workers death, WorkSafeBC says

B.C. RCMP conduct hearing delayed over disclosure issues, possible publication ban

B.C. RCMP conduct hearing delayed over disclosure issues, possible publication ban
An RCMP code of conduct hearing that could see three Mounties from Coquitlam, B.C., lose their jobs has been delayed until Thursday over disclosure issues and a possible publication ban.  The hearing in Surrey was to begin with the testimony of a female officer who lawyers for the conduct hearing said would testify that Const. Ian Solven "outright lied" during his testimony at the hearing earlier this week. 

B.C. RCMP conduct hearing delayed over disclosure issues, possible publication ban

Canadian mayors, workers worry about 'permanent damage' from Trump tariffs

Canadian mayors, workers worry about 'permanent damage' from Trump tariffs
Canadian mayors, workers and industry representatives are warning that the Trump administration's punishing tariffs on steel and aluminum could cost jobs and cause lasting damage to industries on both sides of the border.  They say Canada is already starting to see the effects of the tariffs, with a drop in demand from some American customers, and they're hopeful for a change of heart from the White House as the effects of the policy hit home. 

Canadian mayors, workers worry about 'permanent damage' from Trump tariffs

'Motorcyclist's unfortunate decision' not the fault of Vancouver police: watchdog

'Motorcyclist's unfortunate decision' not the fault of Vancouver police: watchdog
B.C.'s police watchdog has cleared Vancouver officers in relation to the death of a motorcyclist that occurred shortly after a chase had stopped.  The Independent Investigations Office says police tried to conduct a traffic stop on Nov. 6 last year because a motorcycle didn't have a license plate. 

'Motorcyclist's unfortunate decision' not the fault of Vancouver police: watchdog

Multi-vehicle crash shuts Highway 99 south of Whistler

Multi-vehicle crash shuts Highway 99 south of Whistler
A multi-vehicle crash has shut down the Sea-to-Sky Highway in both directions on the way to Whistler. RCMP say poor weather is contributing to the road conditions and drivers are being asked to avoid the area. 10 have been injured and 2 are in critical condition. 

Multi-vehicle crash shuts Highway 99 south of Whistler

Ford talks to Carney, premiers ahead of trade meeting in Washington

Ford talks to Carney, premiers ahead of trade meeting in Washington
Ontario Premier Doug Ford was spending Wednesday meeting with Canada's incoming prime minister and speaking to his fellow premiers ahead of a trip Thursday to Washington, D.C., to talk trade with a top U.S. official.

Ford talks to Carney, premiers ahead of trade meeting in Washington