Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister planning to table First Nations water bill despite provincial opposition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jul, 2025 09:54 AM
  • Minister planning to table First Nations water bill despite provincial opposition

The federal minister of Indigenous services says her government plans to reintroduce legislation to ensure First Nations' rights to clean drinking water — despite calls from Alberta and Ontario for it to scrap the bill altogether.

Environment ministers from Alberta and Ontario sent a letter to their federal counterpart calling on Prime Minister Mark Carney's government to abandon legislation they see as undermining competitiveness and delaying project development.

One of the bills they singled out is C-61, legislation introduced in the last Parliament that sought to ensure First Nations have clean drinking water and are able to protect fresh water sources on their territories.

That bill faced a lengthy committee process but was not passed into law before Parliament was prorogued.

In an emailed statement, a spokesperson for Indigenous Services Minister Mandy Gull-Masty says everyone in Canada should have access to clean water and the government intends to bring the bill back in the fall.

Livi McElrea says provinces and territories share responsibility for reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and the federal government is calling on all jurisdictions "to support this critical legislation."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

MORE National ARTICLES

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico
U.S. President Donald Trump has imposed tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico — a 25 per cent across-the-board levy, with a lower 10 per cent charge on Canadian energy — triggering a continental trade war. Here is the latest news (all times eastern):

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada
U.S. President Donald Trump says Mexico will get a one-month pause on tariffs for imports under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement on trade. In a social media post, Trump says he made the decision after speaking with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum today, adding Mexico has worked with the U.S. on border security.

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government
The British Columbia and federal governments have signed a four-year, $670-million pharmacare agreement, giving universal access to contraceptive and diabetes medications. The plan will support nearly 550,000 B.C. residents with diabetes and provide 1.3 million people with a range of contraceptives.

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks
Another earthquake has shaken Victoria, becoming at least the third felt in British Columbia's capital in less than two weeks. Earthquakes Canada says the magnitude 3.9 earthquake occurred about 58 kilometres south of Victoria, at 4:18 p.m. on Wednesday.

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the government is making contingency plans to reduce the province's reliance on electricity from the United States after the start of the continental trade war. The premier said B.C. had been forced into contingency planning after Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to cut off electricity it provides three border states, resulting in concerns the U.S. could respond in kind.

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack
RCMP in Chilliwack say a three-year-old child has died in a "tragic motor vehicle collision." Police say the child was a pedestrian at the intersection of Vedder and Petewawa roads when he or she was hit on Wednesday. 

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack