Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister planning to table First Nations water bill despite provincial opposition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jul, 2025 09:54 AM
  • Minister planning to table First Nations water bill despite provincial opposition

The federal minister of Indigenous services says her government plans to reintroduce legislation to ensure First Nations' rights to clean drinking water — despite calls from Alberta and Ontario for it to scrap the bill altogether.

Environment ministers from Alberta and Ontario sent a letter to their federal counterpart calling on Prime Minister Mark Carney's government to abandon legislation they see as undermining competitiveness and delaying project development.

One of the bills they singled out is C-61, legislation introduced in the last Parliament that sought to ensure First Nations have clean drinking water and are able to protect fresh water sources on their territories.

That bill faced a lengthy committee process but was not passed into law before Parliament was prorogued.

In an emailed statement, a spokesperson for Indigenous Services Minister Mandy Gull-Masty says everyone in Canada should have access to clean water and the government intends to bring the bill back in the fall.

Livi McElrea says provinces and territories share responsibility for reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and the federal government is calling on all jurisdictions "to support this critical legislation."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

MORE National ARTICLES

2 struck by a vehicle in Duncan

2 struck by a vehicle in Duncan
Police on Vancouver Island are investigating after two pedestrians were struck by a vehicle in Duncan. R-C-M-P say they were called to a report of a pedestrian struck shortly after 9 p-m Saturday.

2 struck by a vehicle in Duncan

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister
Elon Musk’s increasing "meddling" in politics and recent changes at Meta to eliminate fact-checking make Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre’s promise to defund the CBC even more consequential, said Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge. She said the issue isn’t about left or right-wing politics, or "even if you like the CBC or not."

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne plans to reveal his intentions for the Liberal leadership race today.  So far, Ontario MP Chandra Arya and former Montreal MP Frank Baylis are the only two to officially join the contest.

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report
The Institute for Research on Public Policy says governments in Canada have work to do to support the 68 communities it identified as susceptible on the path to drastically lowering Canada's emissions. 

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview
Mark Carney went on late-night television in the U.S. Monday to talk Trump, tariffs and carbon tax, but played coy on any plans to seek the Liberal leadership. The former Bank of Canada and Bank of England governor appeared on “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart for a 20-minute sit-down interview. 

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise
The Quebec government says it is worried about migrants crossing illegally into the United States from Canada, and is calling on the RCMP to deploy the necessary resources at the border. François Bonnardel, Quebec's public security minister, made the comments today in the provincial capital, one week before the inauguration of Donald Trump as U.S. president.

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise