Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Pedestrian struck in Surrey

Pedestrian struck in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey are asking the public for dash-camera footage after a crash that sent a pedestrian to hospital with serious injuries. R-C-M-P say it happened last night in the area of 188 Street and 60 Avenue, where the man was allegedly struck by the driver of an Audi Q-3 S-U-V.

Pedestrian struck in Surrey

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea
Last week, 24 members of the caucus signed on to a letter calling on the prime minister to step down, but the next day Trudeau said firmly that he will lead his party into the next election. Some of the dissenters are now calling for Liberal MPs to vote in a secret ballot on whether Trudeau should remain leader.

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children
A final report into missing children and unmarked graves at residential schools is calling on the federal government to create an Indigenous-led national commission with a 20-year mandate to investigate missing and disappeared Indigenous children. It's also calling on Canada to refer itself to the International Criminal Court for investigation.

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature
British Columbia Premier David Eby has scheduled a meeting with the B.C. Greens as he prepares to form government, a day after securing the barest of majorities in a legislature where every vote will count. Eby told reporters Tuesday that he's open to working with opposition-in-waiting B.C. Conservatives — so long as they respect the "bright line" of rejecting hate, division and conspiracy.

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches
The federal privacy watchdog has opened an investigation into cyberattacks on the Canada Revenue Agency that led to more than 30,000 privacy breaches dating back to 2020.  In a news release, the office of privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says the federal revenue agency reported the breaches in May of this year.

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials
The Washington Post first reported that Canadian officials alleged Indian Home Affairs Minister Amit Shah was behind a campaign of violence and intimidation targeting Sikh separatists in Canada. Morrison told MPs at the national security committee Tuesday that he was the one who confirmed Shah's name to that newspaper.

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials