Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2024 10:52 AM
  • Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases

Montreal police and the Quebec prosecutor's office are launching a pilot project to help authorities better address domestic violence-related strangulations.

Police say strangulation deserves particular attention because a person who is assaulted in that way by their partner is at far greater risk of being killed by them in the future.

They say the pilot project will focus on teaching police and prosecutors how to better identify and respond to domestic violence cases in which strangulation is a factor.

Officers will get specific training, while victims will be offered more support and given information about the different symptoms they might experience in the coming hours and days.

The prosecutor's office says the project will help authorities do a better job at gathering evidence in strangulation cases to ensure that perpetrators can be charged.

Police say in a news release that the project is based off similar initiatives in the United States and will be deployed in eastern Montreal for an 18-month period.

MORE National ARTICLES

Drowned Surrey man's body found

Drowned Surrey man's body found
Mounties in Chilliwack say they have found the body of a Surrey man who was thought to have drowned in Cultus Lake last month. R-C-M-P say the discovery was made by its Underwater Recovery Team after about a month of searching.  

Drowned Surrey man's body found

Ministers told to find $15 billion in government spending cuts by October deadline

Ministers told to find $15 billion in government spending cuts by October deadline
Treasury Board President Anita Anand is tasking federal cabinet ministers with finding $15.4 billion in government spending cuts by a deadline of Oct. 2. A spokesperson for Anand says the government wants to refocus underutilized funds on critical services such as health care — and it doesn't expect to cut any public-service jobs.

Ministers told to find $15 billion in government spending cuts by October deadline

Statue damaged in Kelowna, hunt on for 4 suspects

Statue damaged in Kelowna, hunt on for 4 suspects
R-C-M-P in Kelowna are looking for four suspects after a city statue was damaged. The Mounties say it happened downtown early Saturday morning when "The Working Man" statue was knocked over.

Statue damaged in Kelowna, hunt on for 4 suspects

BC Hydro seeing record consumption

BC Hydro seeing record consumption
B-C Hydro says it set a new record for the highest peak hourly demand in August on Monday night.  It comes as a heat wave sweeping across the southern half of B-C also sets records, including 37.5 Celsius in Port Alberni, breaking a benchmark set in 1933 and 30.6 Celsius at Yoho National Park, surpassing a mark set in 1930.

BC Hydro seeing record consumption

2 arrested in carjacking delivery van

2 arrested in carjacking delivery van
Two men who have been arrested for allegedly carjacking a delivery van in Richmond failed to consider that many of those vehicles come equipped with G-P-S tracking systems.  R-C-M-P say it happened on Sunday when the driver said his van was taken at gunpoint by two people wearing masks.

2 arrested in carjacking delivery van

Federal Liberals have gone more than six months without appointing ethics watchdog

Federal Liberals have gone more than six months without appointing ethics watchdog
Mario Dion retired in February after serving as the last permanent ethics and conflict-of-interest commissioner. A longtime staffer in that office, Martine Richard, took on an interim role in April — but she resigned within weeks amid controversy around the fact she is the sister-in-law of Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc.

Federal Liberals have gone more than six months without appointing ethics watchdog