Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2024 10:52 AM
  • Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases

Montreal police and the Quebec prosecutor's office are launching a pilot project to help authorities better address domestic violence-related strangulations.

Police say strangulation deserves particular attention because a person who is assaulted in that way by their partner is at far greater risk of being killed by them in the future.

They say the pilot project will focus on teaching police and prosecutors how to better identify and respond to domestic violence cases in which strangulation is a factor.

Officers will get specific training, while victims will be offered more support and given information about the different symptoms they might experience in the coming hours and days.

The prosecutor's office says the project will help authorities do a better job at gathering evidence in strangulation cases to ensure that perpetrators can be charged.

Police say in a news release that the project is based off similar initiatives in the United States and will be deployed in eastern Montreal for an 18-month period.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers
The BC Maritime Employers Association says the offer being presented is the same one leaders of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union had previously rejected, which briefly sent workers back to the picket line last week. 

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday
Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Public Services and Procurement Minister Helena Jaczek and Mental Health and Addictions Minister Carolyn Bennett all announced this week that they will not seek re-election.

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas
The charity says it is well positioned to deliver services to communities devastated by the province's worst-ever wildfire season through its work with First Nations, governments and other charitable organizations. 

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned
Police in Nanaimo say a brazen theft of a 75-inch television from a Walmart in June was ill planned, with two suspects caught on video placing the large T-V on a car rooftop and holding it down with nothing but their hands. Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man and a woman, both in their 40s, now face theft charges after they were filmed driving off with the stolen T-V on the evening of June 8th.

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom
Surrey RCMP say they believe Verity Bolton, along with her father Robert and boyfriend Abraxus Glazov are living in trailers in a rural area after the woman failed to return the children to their father earlier this month. 

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver
The 70-year-old victim was crossing West Georgia Street at Cardero on July 22 at 9 a.m. when he was hit in the crosswalk by a dark blue Mini Cooper travelling east on West Georgia. The victim was taken to hospital where he remains in recovery.

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver