Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

More ads coming as Conservatives plot path to make Poilievre the next prime minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Sep, 2023 10:06 AM
  • More ads coming as Conservatives plot path to make Poilievre the next prime minister

Canadians should expect to see a lot more of Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre in the coming months as the party uses its full war chest to reach out beyond its base.

That's essentially what Robert Staley, the Toronto lawyer named by Poilievre to lead the Conservative Fund, told delegates Friday at the party convention in Quebec City.

"We will continue to spend on tour and we will continue to spend on advertising," Staley said.

"All of this is being done to influence voters, especially in key ridings to support the party and our leader in the next election."

More than 2,000 Conservatives are in Quebec City for the party's convention, and will hear directly from Poilievre himself when he takes the stage Friday night.

The mood at the convention is buoyant, following a number of polls that show the party with a considerable lead over the governing Liberals. While no election is imminent, the numbers are lifting the spirits of party members clamouring for a return to power after being shut out for nearly eight years.

The convention comes almost exactly one year since Poilievre scored a resounding first-ballot victory in the leadership race and it is the first time he will address a policy convention as the party's head.

Since he became leader last September, the party's fundraising numbers have soared, allowing it to generate surpluses which are being aimed at helping Canadians warm to the idea of Poilievre as their next prime minister.

More than $3 million has gone toward an advertising campaign launched in early August that features his wife, Anaida, introducing him as a father and a husband, as well as Poilievre himself appearing with his son, talking about his desire to fix the country's woes.

Poilievre spent the summer touring the country, talking up his party as the option for Canadians who want hope and relief from soaring housing prices and a high cost of living. Those are issues that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberals have so far struggled to convince the country they can fix.

"Our tour is not directed at bringing out the faithful," Staley said. "With our leader's tour we are trying to reach new voters with Pierre's common sense messages and it costs more to do it well, and we are doing it well."

He added: "That means doing more to advertise events and try to reach people who otherwise wouldn't have supported the party."

For Conservatives, that includes young people, blue-collar workers and newcomers, particularly in and around the country's biggest cities.

Before Poilievre, the delegates will hear from former cabinet minister Peter MacKay.

MacKay skipped the virtual policy convention in 2021 following his defeat in the 2020 leadership race and his appearance here is viewed by some as a kind of homecoming.

The party for this convention is billing him as one of its co-founders, referencing his role in the merger of the former Progressive Conservative party, which he led, with the Canadian Alliance.

One of the goals of the convention is to get party members fired up for the next election, which doesn't have to happen for another two years but could come earlier because of the minority Parliament.

On Thursday, the Conservatives unveiled a new logo as well as a selection of merchandise with Poilievre's often-used catchphrase of "Bring it Home."

Delegates are also set to discuss what changes they want to make to the Conservative policy handbook and constitution. Suggestions range from declarations around crime and public safety to prohibiting surgical and pharmaceutical gender-affirming care for minors and protecting the rights of those who refuse vaccination.

Some ridings in British Columbia and in Toronto are also pushing the party to set more environmental priorities in official party policy.

Poilievre has made efforts over the summer to broaden his appeal by softening his image, ditching the glasses and suit jacket.

And while his MPs and supporters are buoyed by the recent polls, Poilievre also has the task of managing expectations that rougher waters may still be ahead, as well as keep the focus on what he considers to be winnable issues, such as housing and the cost of living.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.
The lumber producer says it is taking a two-week curtailment starting Sept. 26 at the majority of its solid wood facilities in B.C. Production will resume with reduced operating schedules until the end of the year.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child
A statement from Vancouver police says the three-year-old and his mother were found near Calgary early Tuesday. Police say the boy is now receiving care and his mother has been arrested.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser
A B.C. Supreme Court jury convicted Aydin Coban last month of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and possession and distribution of child pornography.

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect
At approximately 3:54 pm this afternoon, Surrey RCMP received a report of a structure fire in the 14800 block of 75a avenue. Upon arrival, police found the residence fully engulfed, and firefighters were hard at work trying to contain the fire. Police and fire crews are on scene. It is expected that traffic in the area will be disrupted for some time.

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital
When police arrived they confirmed the man, a 51 year old Maple Ridge resident, was suffering from gunshot wounds. The man was transported to hospital with serious injuries. The house remains secured by police while they execute a search warrant.  

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program
The government plans to offer cheques of up to $650 to qualifying low- and middle-income families with children under the age of 12 to help pay for their dental needs. Qualifying families will have to attest that they don't have private insurance, that they have out-of-pocket dental expenses and that they will keep their receipts.

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program