Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Feb, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

British Columbia Premier David Eby says it has been "absolutely inspirational" to see people step up across the province and Canada to support homegrown businesses in response to the tariff threat from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Eby made the comment during a visit to a Save-On-Foods location in Vancouver, where he highlighted efforts to boost local food production.

He says Windset Farms based in Delta entered into a partnership with BC Hydro last fall to expand its facility to become the largest LED-lit greenhouse powered by renewable electricity in western North America.

The premier says Windset recently signed an agreement with Save-On-Foods, "displacing American tomatoes" and giving B.C. residents access to local produce.

Jamie Nelson with Save-On-Foods says the company has more than 2,000 made-in Canada items on its shelves identified with Canadian flags, and they're "really excited" about pushing forward with the buy-local effort.

Eby says B.C. residents would soon start seeing more "Buy BC" advertisements, and the province has also launched a new website with a tool to help people buy local along with the latest information about tariffs and B.C.'s response.

The only thing certain about Trump is uncertainty, Eby added, and the B.C. government is "doing (its) best to diversify away from the United States in order to protect B.C. businesses and consumers from whatever is happening down south."

Asked about reducing barriers to interprovincial trade, Eby told the news conference that Economic Development Minister Diana Gibson was meeting with counterparts from across Canada to push for a "mutual recognition agreement" that would mean products approved for sale in one Canadian jurisdiction would be allowed in others.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Major drug bust in Campbell River

Major drug bust in Campbell River
Mounties in Campbell River say a 24-year-old man is facing possible charges after a search warrant turned up a significant amount of illicit drugs last month. They say officers seized more than 900 grams of cocaine, 200 grams of fentanyl, 260 hydromorphone pills and 26-thousand dollars in cash during the search.

Major drug bust in Campbell River

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate
British Columbia's seniors advocate says the province is falling behind in meeting the basic needs of its older residents. Seniors Advocate Dan Levitt says in a report that despite some investments in services for seniors, there are troubling statistics surrounding health care, long-term care, home care, housing, transportation and community services.

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms
Prince George R-C-M-P say they have seized drugs and multiple high-power firearms after officers saw a man set a stolen car on fire. The incident happened on November 29th, when police on patrol saw the arson took place.

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department
The Tsilhqot’in National Government in British Columbia says it has formed a "historic partnership" with the federal Fisheries Department to develop a permanent salmon conservation hatchery in its territory. It says the hatchery will be managed by the nation, which is host to three salmon-bearing watersheds: the Chilcotin, the Chilko, and the Taseko rivers.

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes
A Nanaimo man has been taken to hospital after being stabbed with syringes in the bathroom of a local park. Mounties say the 58-year-old man is a City of Nanaimo employee and suffered injuries to his face and abdomen in the attack at about 10 a-m yesterday.

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead
Police in Delta say a man missing since Monday morning in the Metro Vancouver community has been found dead. Police say the man had left his home wearing nothing but underwear and suffered from a significant injury.

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead