Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Feb, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

British Columbia Premier David Eby says it has been "absolutely inspirational" to see people step up across the province and Canada to support homegrown businesses in response to the tariff threat from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Eby made the comment during a visit to a Save-On-Foods location in Vancouver, where he highlighted efforts to boost local food production.

He says Windset Farms based in Delta entered into a partnership with BC Hydro last fall to expand its facility to become the largest LED-lit greenhouse powered by renewable electricity in western North America.

The premier says Windset recently signed an agreement with Save-On-Foods, "displacing American tomatoes" and giving B.C. residents access to local produce.

Jamie Nelson with Save-On-Foods says the company has more than 2,000 made-in Canada items on its shelves identified with Canadian flags, and they're "really excited" about pushing forward with the buy-local effort.

Eby says B.C. residents would soon start seeing more "Buy BC" advertisements, and the province has also launched a new website with a tool to help people buy local along with the latest information about tariffs and B.C.'s response.

The only thing certain about Trump is uncertainty, Eby added, and the B.C. government is "doing (its) best to diversify away from the United States in order to protect B.C. businesses and consumers from whatever is happening down south."

Asked about reducing barriers to interprovincial trade, Eby told the news conference that Economic Development Minister Diana Gibson was meeting with counterparts from across Canada to push for a "mutual recognition agreement" that would mean products approved for sale in one Canadian jurisdiction would be allowed in others.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam
A 56-year-old man is facing a sexual assault charge after what Burnaby R-C-M-P are calling a "cleansing ritual scam". Police say a 29-year-old woman was approached by a man at a Burnaby mall on August 5th.

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds
The Canadian Medical Association says there should be better tracking of health care spending, following health care agreements the federal government has signed with the provinces and territories. The doctors’ group has released a new report calling for a greater commitment to tracking improvements in delivery and patient outcomes, citing the complexity of the deals.

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

4 youth assaulted with bear mace
West Shore Mounties say a 32-year-old man is facing eight charges after a group of four youth were assaulted with bear mace last week. They say officers responded to a report of an assault on Wednesday around on the Galloping Goose Trail.

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight
One person is dead and another has been airlifted to hospital following a crash on Highway 1 in British Columbia. Sgt. Joe Leeson with Langley RCMP says officers were called around 9:40 p.m. Friday night after a tow truck hit the rear of a tractor-trailer unit in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1.  Leeson says the tow-truck driver died at the scene.

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries
The company operating British Columbia's ferries says divers have recovered a propeller that fell off one of its vessels and triggered an oil spill earlier this week, but notes it will take six months to complete the needed repairs. A statement from BC Ferries says the propeller from the 60 year-old Queen of New Westminster -- which weighs about 4,500 kilograms -- was pulled from the seabed Saturday morning after two days of recovery work.

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot
RCMP in British Columbia say they've found the family of a boy who was found barefoot and wandering alone in Whistler over the weekend. Mounties in Whistler say they responded to a report of an unaccompanied child, who they believed was about 12-years old, on Saturday night at Dairy Queen on Main Street.

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot