Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Feb, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

British Columbia Premier David Eby says it has been "absolutely inspirational" to see people step up across the province and Canada to support homegrown businesses in response to the tariff threat from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Eby made the comment during a visit to a Save-On-Foods location in Vancouver, where he highlighted efforts to boost local food production.

He says Windset Farms based in Delta entered into a partnership with BC Hydro last fall to expand its facility to become the largest LED-lit greenhouse powered by renewable electricity in western North America.

The premier says Windset recently signed an agreement with Save-On-Foods, "displacing American tomatoes" and giving B.C. residents access to local produce.

Jamie Nelson with Save-On-Foods says the company has more than 2,000 made-in Canada items on its shelves identified with Canadian flags, and they're "really excited" about pushing forward with the buy-local effort.

Eby says B.C. residents would soon start seeing more "Buy BC" advertisements, and the province has also launched a new website with a tool to help people buy local along with the latest information about tariffs and B.C.'s response.

The only thing certain about Trump is uncertainty, Eby added, and the B.C. government is "doing (its) best to diversify away from the United States in order to protect B.C. businesses and consumers from whatever is happening down south."

Asked about reducing barriers to interprovincial trade, Eby told the news conference that Economic Development Minister Diana Gibson was meeting with counterparts from across Canada to push for a "mutual recognition agreement" that would mean products approved for sale in one Canadian jurisdiction would be allowed in others.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail
WestJet says 16 of its planes have been grounded after a massive hailstorm hit Calgary earlier this week.  The Calgary-based airline says those aircraft — 10 per cent of its fleet — need substantial repairs and inspections before they can fly again. 

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video
Another person has been arrested after making threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau online. Police say a man made violent threats against Trudeau, the police and security personnel who might attempt to interfere with his plans in an online video.

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests
The Bank of Canada wants the economy to pick up speed again and some members of its governing council are concerned that weak job market conditions could hinder that process. That's according to the central bank's newly released summary of deliberations detailing discussions ahead of the July 24 rate decision. 

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests
The Canadian government has updated its travel advisory for the United Kingdom amid a rash of ongoing demonstrations. It says visitors should "exercise a high degree of caution" in the country and takes note of demonstrations and violent clashes between protesters and police over the past week. 

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson
Mounties in Burnaby say a suspect has now been charged for an arson that happened in 2023. Police say a 33-year-old man is accused of setting fire to a loading bay at a business in Metrotown mall in February last year.

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting
Homicide investigators are identifying the victim of a deadly shooting in Langley earlier this month in the hopes to further their investigation. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 41-year-old Dillan Unger of Langley was the person killed on August 2nd. 

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting