Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Feb, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

British Columbia Premier David Eby says it has been "absolutely inspirational" to see people step up across the province and Canada to support homegrown businesses in response to the tariff threat from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Eby made the comment during a visit to a Save-On-Foods location in Vancouver, where he highlighted efforts to boost local food production.

He says Windset Farms based in Delta entered into a partnership with BC Hydro last fall to expand its facility to become the largest LED-lit greenhouse powered by renewable electricity in western North America.

The premier says Windset recently signed an agreement with Save-On-Foods, "displacing American tomatoes" and giving B.C. residents access to local produce.

Jamie Nelson with Save-On-Foods says the company has more than 2,000 made-in Canada items on its shelves identified with Canadian flags, and they're "really excited" about pushing forward with the buy-local effort.

Eby says B.C. residents would soon start seeing more "Buy BC" advertisements, and the province has also launched a new website with a tool to help people buy local along with the latest information about tariffs and B.C.'s response.

The only thing certain about Trump is uncertainty, Eby added, and the B.C. government is "doing (its) best to diversify away from the United States in order to protect B.C. businesses and consumers from whatever is happening down south."

Asked about reducing barriers to interprovincial trade, Eby told the news conference that Economic Development Minister Diana Gibson was meeting with counterparts from across Canada to push for a "mutual recognition agreement" that would mean products approved for sale in one Canadian jurisdiction would be allowed in others.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey man arrested in carjacking

Surrey man arrested in carjacking
R-C-M-P say a woman called Friday afternoon to report that a man had assaulted her and taken her vehicle, which was then involved in a three-vehicle crash.

Surrey man arrested in carjacking

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing
Mounties in Squamish say three bodies have been recovered from the area of Garibaldi Provincial Park where three mountaineers went missing last month.

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.
She is the first foreign minister to be invited to meet with David Lammy in London since his recent appointment as U.K. secretary of state for foreign, Commonwealth and development affairs.

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays
Mounties in British Columbia's West Kootenay region say four people are dead after a crash that closed a stretch of Highway 6 for 11 hours. Slocan Lake RCMP say it happened south of Nakusp at about 5:50 p.m. on Friday, when a passenger truck crossed the centre line while a semi-trailer was approaching in the oncoming lane.

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage
A doctor shortage has forced a temporary closure at the Nicola Valley Hospital in Merritt. Interior Health says emergency care at the hospital will be closed for 48 hours.

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope
British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed after a "suspicious death" in Hope. It says Mounties responded to a police report of a dead person on Friday and arrived to find the body of a 46-year-old man, who appeared to be the victim of a homicide.

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope