Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Feb, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

British Columbia Premier David Eby says it has been "absolutely inspirational" to see people step up across the province and Canada to support homegrown businesses in response to the tariff threat from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Eby made the comment during a visit to a Save-On-Foods location in Vancouver, where he highlighted efforts to boost local food production.

He says Windset Farms based in Delta entered into a partnership with BC Hydro last fall to expand its facility to become the largest LED-lit greenhouse powered by renewable electricity in western North America.

The premier says Windset recently signed an agreement with Save-On-Foods, "displacing American tomatoes" and giving B.C. residents access to local produce.

Jamie Nelson with Save-On-Foods says the company has more than 2,000 made-in Canada items on its shelves identified with Canadian flags, and they're "really excited" about pushing forward with the buy-local effort.

Eby says B.C. residents would soon start seeing more "Buy BC" advertisements, and the province has also launched a new website with a tool to help people buy local along with the latest information about tariffs and B.C.'s response.

The only thing certain about Trump is uncertainty, Eby added, and the B.C. government is "doing (its) best to diversify away from the United States in order to protect B.C. businesses and consumers from whatever is happening down south."

Asked about reducing barriers to interprovincial trade, Eby told the news conference that Economic Development Minister Diana Gibson was meeting with counterparts from across Canada to push for a "mutual recognition agreement" that would mean products approved for sale in one Canadian jurisdiction would be allowed in others.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.
Police in West Vancouver say two people are dead after a head-on crash along Highway 1 that blocked access to the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal. They say a vehicle travelling east in the westbound lanes near Westport Road caused the collision at about 11:40 p.m. Wednesday night.

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.

2 vehicle crash in Richmond

2 vehicle crash in Richmond
Mounties in Richmond say they're investigating a two-vehicle crash that injured two pedestrians. They say it happened on Sunday when a Ford Edge S-U-V turned into a Toyota Tundra on Number 4 Road, then careened onto the sidewalk where three people were standing. 

2 vehicle crash in Richmond

Lawyers looking for thousands of families owed money by Veterans Affairs

Lawyers looking for thousands of families owed money by Veterans Affairs
Lawyers are trying to get in touch with hundreds of thousands of people who are owed money through a class-action lawsuit against Veterans Affairs. The suit was launched after the Office of the Veterans Ombud found the government had been improperly calculating the disability benefits and pensions of its clients starting in 2003.

Lawyers looking for thousands of families owed money by Veterans Affairs

Eleven-year-old boy drowns after inflated tube flips in B.C. lake

Eleven-year-old boy drowns after inflated tube flips in B.C. lake
RCMP say an 11-year-old boy has drowned in Wasa Lake, north of Cranbrook in southeastern B.C. Police say the boy was out with two other children on Sunday on an inflated tube when it flipped in high winds and rough water. 

Eleven-year-old boy drowns after inflated tube flips in B.C. lake

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported
An explosion Wednesday reduced a Winnipeg house to rubble and significantly damaged nearby homes. Emergency crews were called to the bungalow on Camrose Bay in the Transcona neighbourhood shortly after 11 a.m.

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous
A 37-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a 66-year-old woman in Sicamous.  R-C-M-P say paramedics tried to save Jo Ann Jackson last week when she was found unresponsive in the driveway of a mobile home park, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous