Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

More Cameras, Tight Security At This Year's Calgary Stampede

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jul, 2019 08:30 PM

    CALGARY — There will be more security cameras, metal detectors and bag searches at this year's Calgary Stampede.


    Officials say there's no concern about an attack — it's just a matter of public safety.


    "We're mindful of other world events where other incidents have occurred ... where harm has been done to people by vehicles and things," Calgary police Insp. Paul Wyatt said Wednesday.


    "It would be naive of us not to put measures in place to counter that."


    The 10-day exhibition and rodeo begins Friday and more than 100,000 visitors are expected each day.


    Metal detectors and bag searches have become a regular routine for people entering the Stampede grounds. Last year, main entrances to the park were blocked by large cement planters to prevent possible vehicle attacks.


    The number of cameras has been increased by 10 per cent this year to address some gaps in security, said Wyatt.


    It's not just the Stampede grounds that will be under surveillance. The parade on Friday, which attracts up to 350,000 people, has to be watched too.


    "We have plans in place," Wyatt said. "We hope we don't have to use them, but we're prepared."


    Wyatt is also asking the public to look out for anything suspicious. "Watch for unusual situations or items or if someone is acting strangely. And if you see something, please say something."


    The head of Calgary's Emergency Management Agency says police, fire and EMS officials have run through several possibilities.


    "We've run scenarios on the parade and we've run scenarios on the Stampede grounds. And I can tell you that we will be prepared and have the safest Stampede on record," said Tom Sampson.


    Visitors are urged not to bring anything onto the grounds that they wouldn't take through airport security.


    There are also new rules because this will be the first Stampede since recreational cannabis was legalized, said Jim Laurendeau, vice-president of park planning.


    "There will be no consumption of cannabis in Stampede Park. However, as a legal item, people can carry it and it will not be confiscated at the gates."


    And for those who flout the cannabis rules?


    "Our policy is they'll be asked to stop and if need be we would take measures including escorting them off the premises."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    BC SPCA Searches For Person Who Left Day-Old Kittens In Vancouver Dumpster

    BC SPCA Searches For Person Who Left Day-Old Kittens In Vancouver Dumpster
    The society's senior animal protection officer, Eileen Drever, says the kittens were discovered Friday in a dumpster inside a secured parking area of a building in the city's West End.

    BC SPCA Searches For Person Who Left Day-Old Kittens In Vancouver Dumpster

    Surrey Man Arrested For Hateful ‘Pressure Cooker Bomb’ Comments On Facebook Following Vaisakhi Parade

    Mounties in Surrey, B.C., say a man has been arrested as they investigate an allegation that a hateful message was posted on social media.

    Surrey Man Arrested For Hateful ‘Pressure Cooker Bomb’ Comments On Facebook Following Vaisakhi Parade

    Three BC Sikhs Put On Secret Canadian No-Fly List; Disquiet In Community

    In what was seen as a paradigm shift of the Justin Trudeau-led Canadian Federal government towards advocates of Sikh radicals in Canada, three Canadian Sikh activists have been put on the no-fly list under the Secure Travel Act.  

    Three BC Sikhs Put On Secret Canadian No-Fly List; Disquiet In Community

    Youth Accused In Kingston, Ont., Terrorism Case Rearrested On New Charges

    An eastern Ontario teen already facing five charges related to an alleged terrorism plot has been rearrested after breaching his bail conditions, police and lawyers said Tuesday.

    Youth Accused In Kingston, Ont., Terrorism Case Rearrested On New Charges

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island
    Voting at a polling station in Prince Edward Island province of Canada was suspended Tuesday afternoon due to a bomb threat, according to CTV.

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel
    William Tchouamou Ganjui and his two-year-old son Menelik fell into the deep end of the pool at the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Montreal in April 2016.    

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel