Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

More snow brings warnings for some B.C. highways

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Mar, 2023 09:34 AM
  • More snow brings warnings for some B.C. highways

VANCOUVER - The first day of spring is exactly one week away, but extreme winter conditions still persist on British Columbia's southern and southeastern mountain passes as snowfall warnings are posted for most routes.

Environment Canada says anywhere from 15 to 25 centimetres is expected at higher elevations of the passes north and east of Hope by Tuesday morning.

Up to 15 centimetres of snow is forecast along the Sea-to-Sky Highway between Squamish and Whistler, but the weather office says conditions there should ease by later in the day.

The warnings come as Avalanche Canada raises the risk to high over much of the south coast and southern Interior.

It says all the new snow, combined with strong winds and warmer temperatures, will create "very dangerous" avalanche conditions, with large, naturally triggered slides likely.

The high danger ratings come just days after Avalanche Canada released more details about the deaths of three German tourists in an avalanche near Invermere, B.C., on March 1, saying two of the victims died on the hill and another died in hospital after a group of 10 heli-skiers triggered the powerful slide.

The report says the entire group was swept into the sparse, forested area beside the larger avalanche path, critically injuring the guide and two other survivors and leaving a fourth person with less serious injuries.

Twelve people have died in six separate avalanches around southern B.C. since January, and Avalanche Canada continues to warn people to make "conservative, low-consequence choices" if they head into the backcountry at all.

MORE National ARTICLES

Poll: 29% of Canadians want restrictions lifted

Poll: 29% of Canadians want restrictions lifted
Forty-three per cent of Canadians surveyed by Leger identified their feelings about the current state of the pandemic as "prudent" — the most popular answer of four options — saying they did not want to lift restrictions too quickly.

Poll: 29% of Canadians want restrictions lifted

Male in Surrey shooting of Fraser Heights area passes away

Male in Surrey shooting of Fraser Heights area passes away
The male victim has succumbed to his injuries and the investigation has been turned over to Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT). Any further inquiries regarding this investigation will be handled by IHIT.

Male in Surrey shooting of Fraser Heights area passes away

Trucks leave Ottawa's core, but spur other action

Trucks leave Ottawa's core, but spur other action
Ottawa police said Thursday that a dozen trucks left an area outside the downtown core after negotiations with protesters who have used the parking lot there as a staging and logistics ground. Ten more trucks left streets near Parliament Hill, and another vehicle was towed for obstructing traffic.

Trucks leave Ottawa's core, but spur other action

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 21,974 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 310,533 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 893 COVID-positive individuals are in hospital and 143 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city
A barge that had been the subject of jokes and the star of many photos after becoming stuck on a popular Vancouver beach during a severe storm in November is on its way out. The City of Vancouver says a process is underway to remove the grounded barge from English Bay by taking it apart in pieces.    

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery
Municipal Affairs Minister Josie Osborne says all of village's records and backup servers were lost in last summer's wildfire and the content of many of its bylaws are unknown. The government also announced $8.3 million in funding to support ongoing operations and recovery for the village.

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery