Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says
The Assembly of First Nations says children and their families who lived under Canada's First Nations child welfare system from 1991 to 2022 can apply for a class action settlement starting in March. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak says the settlement is an acknowledgment of the harms First Nations people experienced under a "racist system that has broken so many lives and families."

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

Singh promises 100% tariffs on Tesla, revival of electric vehicle incentive program

Singh promises 100% tariffs on Tesla, revival of electric vehicle incentive program
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says Canada should charge 100 per cent tariffs on Tesla vehicles for as long as its trade war with the United States continues. He also says in a new release today that a government led by him would revive the federal government's incentive program for electric vehicle purchases.

Singh promises 100% tariffs on Tesla, revival of electric vehicle incentive program

Pedestrian killed in crash in Abbotsford linked to impaired driving

Pedestrian killed in crash in Abbotsford linked to impaired driving
A male pedestrian is dead after he was struck by what police are describing as an impaired driver in Abbotsford..... Police say the crash happened this morning in the 30000 block of Harris Road, where a white Dodge pickup truck had struck a power pole with enough force to shear off the pole.

Pedestrian killed in crash in Abbotsford linked to impaired driving

Two injured in unprovoked attack at business in Surrey

Two injured in unprovoked attack at business in Surrey
Police in Surrey are on the lookout for a suspect involved in two unprovoked attacks in the city that sent one person to hospital. Surrey police say the attack took place at an unspecified business on 120 Street, where the suspect began by physically assaulting a staff member.

Two injured in unprovoked attack at business in Surrey

Trump’s invasion threats violate international law: Canadian ambassador

Trump’s invasion threats violate international law: Canadian ambassador
Canada's ambassador to France says United States President Donald Trump's invasion threats violate international law. Trump has said he wouldn’t rule out using military force to take over Greenland, which is part of Denmark.

Trump’s invasion threats violate international law: Canadian ambassador

Poilievre promises a military base in Iqaluit, would cut foreign aid to pay for it

Poilievre promises a military base in Iqaluit, would cut foreign aid to pay for it
A Conservative government would built a permanent military base in Nunavut and pay for it by "dramatically cutting" Canada's foreign aid budget, Leader Pierre Poilievre said Monday in Iqaluit. Speaking at a press conference Poilievre said CFB Iqaluit would serve as a base for Royal Canadian Air Force operations defending Canada's Arctic and for search and rescue missions.

Poilievre promises a military base in Iqaluit, would cut foreign aid to pay for it