Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.
Trump's proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian exports would be a "deliberate economic attack" on B.C. families and people should think carefully about spending money in a country that wants to do them economic harm, Eby said during a news conference in Vancouver on Tuesday.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says a government led by him would cut the number of federal public servants — but he doesn't mind if they work from home. When asked by Radio-Canada on Tuesday if U.S. President Donald Trump’s executive order sending federal workers back to the office five days a week is a good idea, Poilievre said that what matters is whether public servants do the work.

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts
The Canadian Armed Forces is no longer automatically disqualifying applicants with certain medical conditions such as allergies and ADHD, as it works to improve its numbers and grow the size of Canada's military.

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon
An American man recently found guilty of rioting at the U.S. Capitol four years ago remains in immigration custody in British Columbia, even after being given a presidential pardon for his actions. But the lawyer for 32-year-old Anthony Vo says his client plans to drop his asylum claim in Canada and he expects to be returned to the United States, possibly as early as this week. 

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death
A suspect has been charged with second-degree murder more than two years after a man was killed in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. A statement from Vancouver police says they were called on Jan. 17, 2023, to reports of a shooting inside the West Hotel rooming house. 

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks
Contract talks between the British Columbia government's unionized public sector workers start today with a union leader forecasting a difficult round of bargaining. B.C. General Employees' Union President Paul Finch says the contract for 34,000 provincial government workers expires March 31, but talks are starting earlier. 

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks