Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters
A boat was destroyed in the waters of the Indian Arm fjord near North Vancouver's Deep Cove on Saturday afternoon after it caught fire, smouldered for over three hours and sank. A spokesperson for the Pacific region of the Fisheries Department says Canadian Coast Guard were advised of the burning boat just after noon on Jan. 18 and dispatched from the Kitsilano Base.

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach
The federal privacy watchdog says he's "concerned" about a data breach involving a student information system used across Canada, and his office is seeking more information from the U.S.-based company behind the targeted software. Privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says his office is in touch with PowerSchool, which provides the affected platforms to schools across North America.

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports
The New York Times and Wall Street Journal say incoming U.S. president Donald Trump won't slam Canada with damaging tariffs on his inauguration day. Both U.S. newspapers report Trump will instead sign an executive order today to investigate alleged unfair trade and currency practices by Canada, Mexico and China.

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks
Three national Indigenous leaders say Indigenous Peoples should be at the centre of any discussions on how the country should respond to incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs and Canada's territorial sovereignty. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami President Natan Obed and Métis National Council President Victoria Pruden made that pitch during a meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday morning.

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors
Three men from Port Alberni have been charged with sexual offences on minors, including trafficking of youth under 18 years old.  RCMP say its general investigations unit started looking into the allegations in 2020 and charges were laid last week. 

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast
The federal government is providing $117 million to help solve what it describes as the "heightening water crisis" due to drought on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast, where the Sechelt area has been hit especially hard.

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast