Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

Overnight shooting in Newton

Overnight shooting in Newton
Police in Surrey are investigating an overnight shooting at a home in the Newton neighbourhood. They say that shortly after one this morning, a resident on the 71-hundred block of 128th street reported coming home to find several gunshot holes in the side of their house.

Overnight shooting in Newton

With the House of Commons prorogued, some key Liberal legislation may not pass

With the House of Commons prorogued, some key Liberal legislation may not pass
Gov. Gen. Mary Simon granted Justin Trudeau's request Monday to prorogue Parliament until Mar. 24, suspending activities of the House of Commons while the Liberals move to replace him as both Liberal Leader and prime minister. The move means the legislative agenda will be reset once the House of Commons reconvenes in March and some key pieces of legislation for the government may die on the order paper. 

With the House of Commons prorogued, some key Liberal legislation may not pass

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state
Trump reiterated his rhetoric about Canada joining the United States in a post on Truth Social after Trudeau’s announcement that he will resign as Liberal leader and prime minister as soon as a new leader is chosen.

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit
The B-C Supreme Court says WestJet must turn over harassment complaint files spanning years covered by a long-running class-action lawsuit launched by flight attendants over alleged sexual harassment by company pilots. The court ruling says WestJet has been slow to hand over documents in the case, which was filed in 2016 by lead plaintiff Mandalena Lewis.

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial
The two men found guilty of human smuggling in the case of a family from India who froze to death while trying to walk across the Canada-U.S. border in Manitoba in 2022 are seeking acquittal, or new trials. The two men, Steve Shand of Florida and Harshkumar Patel, an Indian national arrested in Chicago, were convicted by a Minnesota jury in November on all four counts each were facing.

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial

Edmonton police charge man in partner's homicide after woman found dead on riverbank

Edmonton police charge man in partner's homicide after woman found dead on riverbank
Edmonton Police have laid charges after a woman was found dead on a bank of the North Saskatchewan River last week. In a news release, police say a 31-year-old man has been arrested and charged with second degree murder.

Edmonton police charge man in partner's homicide after woman found dead on riverbank