Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings
Vancouver's Joe Average was an artist, advocate and activist whose bright, multicoloured images were as multi-faceted as his existence. But his sister Karin Carson says she used to giggle about his fame and always called him by Brock, his given name. 

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC
Mounties say major crime investigators are looking for witnesses or people who were in the area of the Finlay Community Connector Forest Service Road on Friday evening or Saturday morning. 

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

9-year-old girl dies in car crash
On Friday Calgary Police laid nearly a dozen charges on 30-year-old Duane Arlen John Nepoose, including dangerous driving causing death, three counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and fleeing from police.

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls
British Columbia's emergency call service has released its annual list of the most unusual and inappropriate 911 calls, including complaints about overripe fruit and an overly fragrant neighbour. E-Comm says it handles about 2 million calls a year but not all of them qualify as emergencies.

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital
Police in Port Moody say a charge of assault causing bodily harm has been approved against a 41-year-old man with no fixed address. He is scheduled to appear in court in Port Coquitlam on Feb. 10.

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access
Rogers says in a statement that the new cellular towers along Highway 16 in northern B.C. will cover 166 kilometres where wireless service gaps previously existed. The company says that when the final two out of 11 towers are erected, the new wireless coverage will "ensure continuous coverage" on the entire 720-kilometre stretch of highway from Prince George to Prince Rupert.

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access