Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

Inmate dies after prison assault

Inmate dies after prison assault
Correctional Service Canada says an inmate has died after an assault at a B-C prison. The service says the 43-year-old inmate died Sunday while in the custody of the Kent Institution in Agassiz.

Inmate dies after prison assault

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways
Environment Canada has issued a number of snowfall and winter storm warnings on some B-C highways extending into today. The agency says winter storm conditions are in the forecast for the Sea to Sky Highway from Squamish to Whistler, as well as the Coquihalla from Hope to Merritt and Highway 3 between Grand Forks and Creston.

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows
A senior Liberal close to the prime minister says Trudeau is being presented possible paths forward, including proroguing Parliament to allow a Liberal leadership race to take place.

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis
Way down in the polls with 2025 set as an election year and no signs of a Liberal recovery on the horizon, Trudeau is facing a key moment where he must decide whether he should stay or go. Here's a look at some of the scenarios and possibilities the Liberals now face:

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault
Police say 43-year-old Sgt. Matthew Ball, and 40-year-old Const. Ryan Johnston formed separate "intimate" and "inappropriate" relationships with a woman in her mid-20s who they met while on duty, and it does not appear that the two officers acted together.

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault

Surrey launches chatbot

Surrey launches chatbot
Surrey has launched an artificial intelligence chatbot designed to improve response to the public about renovating, building and development in the city. The city says the Development Inquiry Assistant was launched after a pilot version was released earlier in the year in April.

Surrey launches chatbot