Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

At the U.S-Mexico border, residents want Donald Trump to fulfill his promises

At the U.S-Mexico border, residents want Donald Trump to fulfill his promises
Monday evening the president-elect posted on Truth Social that he will sign an executive order imposing a 25 per cent tariff on all products coming in to the U.S. from Canada and Mexico until both countries stop drugs, in particular fentanyl, and people from illegally crossing the borders.

At the U.S-Mexico border, residents want Donald Trump to fulfill his promises

Busy travel season at the border ahead of US Thanksgiving

Busy travel season at the border ahead of US Thanksgiving
Canada's Border Services Agency is warning travellers heading to the U-S for Thanksgiving to plan ahead to minimize waits during the busy travel season. The agency says it is monitoring traveller volumes for peak periods and will take steps to minimize waits at both land crossings and at international airports, but travellers can avoid long lines if they travel in the early mornings.

Busy travel season at the border ahead of US Thanksgiving

Impaired driver rear ends a police vehicle

Impaired driver rear ends a police vehicle
Nanaimo police say an officer narrowly avoided serious injury after a suspected impaired driver rear-ended a police vehicle over the weekend. Police say the officer had stopped roadside along with another vehicle he had pulled over for speeding when an S-U-V struck the police car from behind.

Impaired driver rear ends a police vehicle

Woman injured in police altercation

Woman injured in police altercation
B-C's independent police watchdog is investigating after a woman was seriously injured in Chilliwack during an altercation with officers. The Independent Investigations Office says the woman was allegedly impaired and refusing to take a cab at a restaurant on November 22nd, choosing instead to get into her car.

Woman injured in police altercation

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature
Activists say a silent vigil was held at the B-C Legislature in memory of 16 women killed this year, an event coinciding with the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Vigil organizer Vancouver Rape Relief says participants held up signs with the names of the women killed this year, along with a large banner that read "no more femicide."

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet
A statement from the privacy commissioners of both Ontario and British Columbia says their joint report, completed in June 2020, found that LifeLabs "failed to take reasonable steps" to protect clients' data while collecting more personal health information than was "reasonably necessary."

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet