Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

Car theft in Prince George

Car theft in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P want to identify a suspect in a theft on Monday from a car in a local parking lot. Police say he a took a bag containing clothing and other personal items worth over one-thousand-dollars in the lot in the 300-block of Victoria Street.

Car theft in Prince George

Early ski season for resorts

Early ski season for resorts
Several ski resorts across B-C -- including Whistler-Blackcomb, Big White and Cypress Mountain -- are starting their season early thanks to fresh powder. Big White says the resort outside Kelowna is set to open tomorrow, six days ahead of schedule, with an alpine base of 104-centimetres.

Early ski season for resorts

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed
An operating permit has been granted for the Cariboo Gold Mine in central British Columbia, a project that's expected to process 1.1 million tonnes of gold-bearing ore a year but is still opposed by a First Nation. The B.C. government says in a news release that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete. 

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued
The Canada Border Services Agency provided the figures after being asked about a lawsuit against it by a Victoria solar firm, which says a shipment of solar panels worth more than $5 million was wrongfully detained over false suspicions they were made with forced labour in China. 

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase
Tom Clark was summoned back to testify before a parliamentary committee looking into the purchase after media reports earlier this month indicated he had raised concerns about the former residence, despite previously saying he never expressed a desire to move into a new one.

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase

Climate protesters arrested outside Pierre Poilievre's official residence in Ottawa

Climate protesters arrested outside Pierre Poilievre's official residence in Ottawa
Ottawa police say two people were arrested this morning after an "unlawful" demonstration outside Stornoway, the official residence the Opposition leader. Greenpeace Canada says its activists blocked Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's house and two of them locked themselves to a replica oil pumpjack placed in the driveway.

Climate protesters arrested outside Pierre Poilievre's official residence in Ottawa