Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting
RCMP say charges have been laid in a shooting that killed one person and injured two others in the Northwest Territories. Officers responded to a home early Saturday morning in the hamlet of Fort Providence, where a 31-year-old man was found dead.

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP
Mounties in Langley say the body of an 82-year-old woman has been found several months after she went missing. Jane Whitehouse was reported missing on Oct. 25 last year. 

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Wednesday he'll "set a deadline" to approve all federal permits for mining in northwestern Ontario's Ring of Fire region within six months. Poilievre said that a Conservative government would also commit $1 billion over three years to build a road network to link the mining sites to Ontario's highway network and First Nations communities in the area.

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme
A 24-year-old Vancouver man faces several charges after investigators dismantled what they say was a "sophisticated" gun importation operation. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the charges come after an investigation that began in June 2023 when packages with gun parts were "intercepted at the border." 

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme

B.C. shuts door on secondary-suite incentive program over 'uncertain financial times'

B.C. shuts door on secondary-suite incentive program over 'uncertain financial times'
The British Columbia government says it is cancelling an incentive program meant to entice more homeowners to build secondary suites, saying the decision is "due to uncertain financial times."  The government says in a statement that the pilot program won't accept applications after March 31. 

B.C. shuts door on secondary-suite incentive program over 'uncertain financial times'

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime
Global Affairs Canada and the Chinese embassy both declined to say how many Canadians were executed or report the names of those killed. Ottawa did confirm they did not include Abbotsford, B.C. native Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, who was sentenced to death for drug smuggling by a Chinese court in 2019.

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime